Home - Chermside & District History

Lake Family

O'Dinki-Di Pies

Information supplied by Enid Dortkamp to Marion Eaton

1922-1946 "Lakes" O'Dinki-Di Hot Pie Factory

Victor, the second eldest son, did not like school. He would do anything to be able to leave. Victor had an idea - he asked his parents to make some meat pies. Seeing they lived in a residence at the back of a shop across the road from the Petrie Terrace Police Barracks, he thought the policemen would come across and buy them - and they did.

He had another idea - he would get a carry basket, fill it with pies, cover with a clean tea towel, walk down to George Street and sell them. He sold out very quickly. After a few weeks, selling pies took the place of school lessons.

Because of the amount of pies that had to be made, Dad bought a larger shop in Caxton Street. After a few months, Dad decided to build a two-storey factory, opposite the Caxton Hotel - living quarters upstairs and pie factory on the ground floor; from the back verandah, stairs up to a roof garden on top. Down the back yard stables were built for the horses and enough rooms for the pie carts and rooms for the coal to heat the big oven to bake the pies. A lane at the back allowed the pie carts into Caxton Street. In 1922, it was the largest pie factory in Queensland.

O'Dinki-Di Pie Factory
O'Dinki-Di Pies factory at Petrie Terrace

All the work was done by the family. As you left school, you started at the factory. We worked long hours 11pm to about 9am - fresh pies every day. We had a special permit to sell pies at all big football, cricket, races, Grovely Army camp. We had a stall at the Royal National Exhibition from 1922. The factory closed in 1946. We would drive from Aspley to Petrie Terrace every day except Saturday night. We didn't work on Sundays.

Lake selling pies at 1939 Ekka
Lake selling pies at Brisbane Exhibition, 1939.

The day you turned 17 years, you got your drivers licence. We were a close family, the ten of us. We had wonderful parents, God blessed us all.

Life at "Parkview" - 259 Albany Creek Road, Aspley


1926-1963 "Parkview" 259 Albany Creek Road, Aspley : the true story of the land that "Aspley Keep" Housing estate is being built.

In 1926, a man named George William James Lake bought 61 acres.

He came from the UK with his parents and one brother in 1899by steam ship "SS Duke of Argyle" to live in Australia. They settled in Paddington, Brisbane.

George was 19 years old, William was 17.

The parents bought a shop with living quarters at the back. It was opposite the Petrie Terrace Police Barracks.

George met a young woman named Sarah. Her parents had come from Scotland. Sarah was born in Queensland.

In 1904, Sarah and George married. By the year December 1906, the first son was born. After the sixth child was born, Sarah and John had twins, a girl and a boy. The girl was very small and healthy; the boy was a heavyweight and not healthy. The family doctor, Harvey Walsh, advised dad to shift to the country to help his son improve in health.

The property in Albany Creek Road was for sale so Dad bought the 61 acres. A small house had been built at the other end of the acreage.

The older half of the family lived in Petrie Terrace.

Mum had another son born in the house - he was the fourth son, named Harvey, after the doctor who traveled from the city for the birth.

Mum had another girl, the sixth, not born in the farm house. It was at her parents' home in Musgrave Road, Red Hill opposite the Normanby Hotel. The last son was born in 1932.he was called David and only lived nine months.

The years passed and the pie factory closed in 1946. Dad decided to do something with the farm. We always had a few cows, the milk was separated for cream, we made our own butter, also had thick cream on scones, cakes, bread jam and cream.

Next came the poultry; big sheds were built, one specially for the incubatorwhere our own chickens were hatched. We had hundreds of fowls, took the eggs every week to the Egg Board at Normanby.

Chicken Shed
Chicken sheds behind the tennis court

Lake home
The Parkview home in 1927, before extension (Aspley)

Lake home
Taken from sleep out "Park View" Albany Creek Road, Aspley.

Small crops were grown on a couple of acres near the creek -lettuce and beetroot. We had to be out of bed early to cut the lettuce and pack into boxes; the beetroot were in boxes. Once or twice a week, they went into the markets in Roma Street, City.

Lake lettuce farm
Lettuce growing on the farm.

Dad had the farm registered as G.Lake and Sons. It became a mixed farm - cows, horses, one donkey called Freddy, a black goat called Billy, 3 good farm dogs and a couple of cats.

Freddie the donkey
Freddie the donkey.

Enid with a goat
Enid Dortkamp (nee Lake) and pet goat.

The last five children were very sport minded and played cricket, football, basketball and vigoro for Aspley and Bald Hills.

As the farm was successful, the boys built a tennis court near the house - we played plenty of tennis on it - men's tennis fixtures on Saturdays, ladies mid-week fixtures on Wednesday. Thursday afternoon was men's social players, very good players - it was good to watch.

Lake tennis court
The tennis court.

Sunday evening at home was great; we always had a piano, - a very musical family. We always had a sing-song. Lennie, the eldest, piano, Dad on violin, Dorothy piano accordion, Enid piano and steel guitar. Mum had a good singing voice, we girls were blessed with good voices.

The Lake Sisters 1948
Lake sisters at wedding of George and Joyce Thelma (Roberson), Lucie (Mrs Len Jones), Margaret (Mrs Cecil Soxsmith), Florence (Mrs Mal Weller), Dorothy (Mrs Stan Hansen), Enid (Les Dortkamp) - 10 April 1948.

The last five all went to Aspley State School. The Lake family was very popular and had many mates. We still keep meeting a few.

The school numbered about 85 children in those years.

We have all been blessed. Enid still lives in Aspley. Of the eleven children, only four are still living - Enid, Dorothy, Harvey and Florence - in the year 2005.

Dorothy Florence & Enid with Mum Sarah Lake 1963
Dorothy Florence & Enid with Mum Sarah Lake(Photos LAK 001-019 donated by Enid Dortkamp via Marion Eaton) - 7 December 1963.