The Pfingst Story
Hermann Pfingst arrived in Brisbane on 5th September 1863 on the sailing ship Beausite after a voyage of approximately six months from Hamburg. There were other passengers of note on that same trip who settled on the north outskirts of Brisbane and many of their descendants live in the area today - some living on or near the original family farms. CDHS member, Norman Pfingst, is one of these people being the great grandson of Hermann Pfingst.
One of Hermann's first jobs was to work for Captain Sinclair who was the Harbour Master at the time. This was followed by a fencing job for Adam Fritsch who had arrived from Germany on the ship Wilhelm Kirchner in 1858. His property of 21 acres was at Hendra near Nudgee Road.
Hermann Pfingst had come to Australia as an emigrant under the Lands Order System which provided for a free grant of land on arrival and a further grant of 50 acres after two years residency. Naturally there would have been conditions and provisos.
Hermann Pfingst's first property of 41 acres between Edinburgh Castle Road and Rode Road which was later disposed of as unsuitable for his needs. He then took up 30 acres bordering which is now known as Pfingst Road on its western side, Hamilton Road on the north and Higherest Avenue on the south.
According to Norman Pfingst, who presently lives in Pfingst Road, this would explain the first 14 acres being followed by the three 10 acre blocks which would have been acquired during the Crown Land Sales at the time.
Some of Hermann's neighbouring farmers included Heinrich Bilsen who had come from the same area in Germany. This was Charhessen, one of the four divisions of the old Duchy of Hessen. Bilsen and Pfingst Roads commemorate these early day pioneers.
Hermann married Margaretta Peter in 1865. Their four children were named Margaretta, Peter, Elizabeth and Anna Dorothea. After his first wife's death, Hermann re-married a widow by the name of Eva Christina Banz.
From the accounts Hermann was an extremely hard working man and spent his life working his farm with his son Peter and eventually residing with him and his family, who lived on the remaining 20 acre family block which had been passed on to Peter in return for his years of work on the farm.
Hermann Pfingst died in 1927 and was buried at the Nundah Cemetery in a family grave along with other members of the family. From all accounts he was a well liked man being a regular church goes in his early days at the Nundah Lutheran Church. One of Hermann's closest friends was August Vellnagel who established the blacksmith shop at Downfall Creek at Chermside over 100 years ago.
Norman Pfingst was interviewed by Marion Eaton 2002.