Funeral for Mr W E Sammells (Newspaper & date not recorded)
The funeral of the late Mr. W. E. Sammells took place on Saturday from his late residence, Rode-road, Chermside, to the Lutwyche cemetery. The Rev. A. G. Weller, O.B.E., who conducted the burial service, spoke of his personal experience with the deceased gentleman, who had been a member of the Nundah Baptist Church for 35 years. District Grand Master (Bro. G. Cain) conducted the funeral service of the P.A.F.S.O.A. Lodge. The pall-bearers were Brothers T. Hamilton, R Osburge, J. Packer, C. Vellnagel, J Kemp, and J. Richardson, past masters of the Perseverance Lodge.
The late Mr. Sammels, who was 64 years of age, had spent over 30 years in the Chermside district. He was one of the original members of the local State School committee, and for 27 years rendered valuable assistance to that institution. For 12 years he conducted the local post office and store at Chermside. He was a foundation member of the P.A.F.S.O.A. Perseverance Lodge, of which he has held the position of secretary for many years. He also held the position of secretary for the Hope of Merthyr Lodge, New Farm, and was one of the delegates to the last Grand Council of Lodges, held in Mackay, when he placed before the various delegates suggestions for a system of Juvenile lodges. The following local bodies and lodges were represented:
- Chermside Progress Association, by Mr. J. G. Smith
- Chermside School of Arts, Mr G Lempke
- Chermside State School Committee, Messrs. Herb V Smith and F. White
- Chermside Ladies' State School Committee, Mrs. F. White
- Chermside Methodist Church, Mr. J. E. Reid
- P.A.F.S.O.A. Secretaries' Association, Mr. R. Carson
- P.A.F.S.O.A. District Masters, Mr. R. E. Walker
- Perseverance Lodge, Loyal Zillmere Lodge, Pride of Nundah Lodge, Arc of Safety Lodge, Lilley of the Grove Lodge, South Brisbane Lodge, Flower of Milton Lodge, Rose of the Hill Lodge, Hope of Merthyr Lodge, and Pride of Balmoral Lodge.