Travel to the Chermside district has changed from foot traffic by Aborigines to the latest “banana” buses operated by the Brisbane City Council.
Aboriginal people travelled through the area on their pathways in their regular search for food and ceremonies. After white settlement, they continued to move through the area to collect blankets and supplies from government stores.
Early settlers usually had access to some form of horse transport. Thomas Hopkins, driving his horse and buggy, took his friends, the Hamilton family, to look at land. Many prospectors walked through the area on their way to the gold fields. The movement of people and vehicles through the area led to the establishment of blacksmith and wheelwright businesses such as that owned by Andrew Hamilton. Cobb & Co had regular stops at Downfall Creek, later called Chermside, and Aspley to collect passengers and mail.
Horse buses travelled on a route along Bowen Bridge Road to the terminus at Kedron Brook. Passengers travelling to the outer area of Downfall Creek had to walk across the bridge and catch a local bus to reach their destination.
Local bus services took passengers into the city. Godwin and later Siemen operated a service to the city. Boyce and Little ‘s motor buses ran from Bald Hills through Kedron to Wooloowin.
One of the earliest road works undertaken by the new Brisbane City Council was to build a bridge over Kedron Brook and complete the tramline to Lutwyche Cemetery in 1927. Local progress associations agitated for many years for the line to come to Chermside.
This finally happened in 1947 to the great joy of the local citizens. The provision of regular and reliable transport opened the way for further development of the Aspley and Chermside areas.