Home - Chermside & District History

Kedron Omnibus Company

Kedron Omnibus Company

Local people from the Aspley, Chermside and Kedron areas went into the city to do their banking and shopping. Mrs Goodwin and her family operated a bus service for many years, carrying mail and passengers into the city. Mr Sieman later bought the business. The Brisbane Motor Bus Company bought out many local bus services in 1912 and cancelled the one to Chermside. Residents had no public transport to take them to the city or to the train at Wooloowin.

At a public meeting in the School of Arts Hall on 28 May 1912, 50 people decided to form a company, the Kedron Omnibus Company Limited, to run a horse bus service from Aspley to the Wooloowin station. Thomas Hamilton became one of the directors and after several meetings in his home, the company decided to buy two buses and six horses. The company also had a mail contract. The service started on 29 June 1912 and used the new stables on Margaret Hamiltonís land in Hall Street.

The first annual report showed that the Company was paying its way. It had 3 buses and 15 horses and improvements included the larger stables and a new bus shed. There were two trips a day to Stafford. Unfortunately the Company soon had serious problems - the cost of horse feed had risen and there were just not enough paying passengers. The shareholders decided to wind up the Company and it was sold in June 1915.

One of the Aspley to Wooloowin horse buses operated by the Kedron Omnibus Company. It was restored by Alec Hamilton and displayed at the Queensland Museum for several years. It is now on display at the Main Roads Cobb and Co Museum at Toowoomba, Queensland.