Towards the end of August, 1928, our family, Herb and Jessie Smith, myself, sister Dorothy and brother Ronald came to live at 18 Victor Drive (now Kidston Terrace) Chermside. Our youngest sister Mavis was born in 1930.
There was just a track leading off from Gympie Road (then a two lane road) to our house, no made footpath nor gutters. The Dawn Theatre was almost completed and on the side of the road was a horse drinking trough.
At this time the trams only came as far as Lutwyche Cemetery, with few bus connections. Chermside State School consisted of two classrooms only (a far cry from the large school it became in later years with attendances of over 1,000 children). The Police Station was a house on the corner of Gympie Road and Kuran Street and Mr Hardaker, the shoe repairer, had a small shop on the corner of Wallace Street.
The early families in Victor Drive were - Fulwood, Stewart, Britton, Woodward, Hill, Black, Nelson, Somers, Stephens, Casford and Eyles. Almost all the children of these families attended Chermside State School.
There was bush all around the area (as far as Prince Charles Hospital) plus the creek running through near the Casford home in Victor Drive. All this area was just made for building cubby houses and fishing in the creek for yabbies. Much fun and enjoyment was had.
All our household requirements were found in Gympie Road. Joe Fisher, W Hacker & Sons and G Early & Son were grocers, produce and hardware merchants whilst George Lemke was the butcher. The baker and milkman called to our homes. No one could possibly have imagined we would have all the facilities of Chermside Westfield Drive In way back in 1928.
Another memory is of Hamilton's Coach Builders and Bodyworks and their painting department. Housed in huge sheds this was an outstandingly busy part of Chermside for many years.
As the years passed and more houses were built, especially after World War II, Gympie Road was widened and - with much excitement- the trams came down as far as Hamilton Road comer. At that time the Methodist Church was still the small building brought down "to the village" from near Caravilla Motel. The new Church was built on the corner in 1950.
Staib's paddock (where Winston Noble Hospital was built) was a great place and many cricket games were played there in those earlier years.
Written by Elva Goward (nee Smith)