- 1946 Gympie Road - Webster Road to Hamilton Road
- 1946 Gympie Road - West Side - Hamilton Road to Kitchener Road
- 1946 Gympie Road - East Side - Hamilton Road to Kitchener Road
- 1946 Gympie Road - Kitchener Road to Kedron Brook
In 1946 an aerial survey was made of the Chermside & District and the photos used here are from that survey.
World War II ended in 1945 and by 1946 many armed service personell had been discharged and were back in 'civvy street'. This meant a lot of young people were picking up their lives, marrying, starting families, building houses and settling down. The Chermside area was poised on the edge of a huge building boom as there was plenty of land available.
A person who left Chermise in the early part of the 20th Century and returned in 1946 would still see much of what s/he knew of the place. There had been some change but not a great deal, there was still bush, farms, paddocks but Gympie Road was paved because it was needed as an all weather transport route during the war.
In the decades that followed Chermside changed out of all recognition.
Four photos of Gympie Road are used below.
The second and third are the same photo but the two are used to identify the structures on the WEST and EAST sides of the road.
The identification of the buildings is taken from earlier work of:
1. Norman White who drew a map of Chermside in the 1940s
2. Desmond Lee who gave a clear listing of the places he remembered in 1945
3. The combined memories of several members of the CDHS who have lived here all their lives.
1946 Gympie Road - Webster Road to Hamilton Road
This first photo shows the northern part of the Chermside area, Gympie Road had few buildings in this section.
WEST SIDE of Gympie Road had Vellnagel's Blacksmith Shop and house opposite Murphy Road.
Wheller Gardens (Garden Settlement)
Hacker's Produce Store
EAST SIDE of Gympie Road had Marchant Park with two Ovals.
Sparkes' and Early's Paddocks.
BANFIELD (SHORT) STREET
Early's Produce Store and House.
The Police Station, House & Lock-up on the North corner of Hamilton & Gympie Roads.
1946 Gympie Road - West Side - Hamilton Road to Kitchener Road
Timmin's Garage & House later
managed by Les Lee
Fisher's Produce Store
Jackson's Milk Bar
Bert Carr Blacksmith
Argo's First Bicycle Shop
& Pradella's first
Geo Lemke Jr Butcher
Head Teacher's House
Chermside State School &
House on the corner
Harry Williamson's Bakery
May's Butcher Shop & Ice
Works behind it.
Gallagher's Kedron Tannery
About Five houses
Gallagher's Home Glenora
1946 Gympie Road - East Side - Hamilton Road to Kitchener Road
Old timber Methodist Church
House - possibly Hansen's?
Hamilton Body Works opposite Sparks Street
School of Arts & Library
Argo's second Bicycle Workshop
Argo's Bicycle Shop
Reid's Grocery Shop and Post Office
House of Granny Gunston
Old Police Station & House
KURAN (DUFF) STREET
Arthur Box's house with the
workshop under the house
Stephen's house back near Saw Mill
House of Sid Rice
House of E. Beckmann
Daybell's (later Green's) Store
------Pills & Slaney's Tanneries
Magg's large brick house with
bowling green beside it.
1946 Gympie Road - Kitchener Road to Kedron Brook
The Southern Kedron area was older and much more closely settled than the Chermside area in 1946. This was due to the gradual growth of Brisbane to the north and especially to the building of the tramline which provided cheap efficient all weather transport.
The trams reached Lutwyche Cemetery by May 1925 but Chermside had to wait another 22 years till March 1947.