Holy Spirit Northside
The Northside Chronicle in April 1999 announced that a new private non-profit hospital was to be built near The Prince Charles Hospital at a cost of $70 million. It would provide 250 jobs during the building phase and 500 full and part time jobs when the construction was completed.
The Bayside Star featured the official opening of the Holy Spirit Northside Hospital on 30th July 2001, stating that it was owned jointly by the Sisters of Charity and the Holy Spirit Missionary Sisters, two Catholic women's nursing orders. The report continued listing the major medical facilities of 162 bed accommodation, eight operating theatres, two cardiac catheter theatres, emergency centre, neurosurgery, endoscopy centre, day surgery centre, oncology centre and specialist medical centre.
The Holy Spirit website noted that being co-located with The Prince Charles Hospital (TPCH), is contributing significantly to the teaching and research roles in cardiology treatment and through their close cooperation the two facilities are placed in good stead to create Australia's pre-eminent acute cardiac centre and one of the world's best cardiac campuses.
Holy Spirit Sisters and Sisters of Charity
In 1944 the Holy Spirit Sisters came to Brisbane, refugees from World War II in Papua New Guinea, where many lost their lives. In 1945 they obtained a farm property in Aspley on the corner of Beams & Gympie Roads (now Carseldine) and established themselves there.
In 1946 they purchased the old Lister private Hospital on Wickham Terrace, Central Brisbane, and set up the Holy Spirit Hospital. In 1962 they opened the Holy Spirit Home at Carseldine.
By 2002 both these facilities were administered by lay men and women who were committed to the Sisters' vision. In February 2003 the Hospital on Wickham Terrace was sold and is now operating under the title of Brisbane Private Hospital. The new Holy Spirit Northside Hospital was built at Chermside alongside of The Prince Charles Hospital in a Joint Venture with the Sisters of Charity.
The Sisters of Charity came to Australia in 1838 as a Catholic teaching order but in 1857 they reverted to their original calling of nursing and opened St Vincent's Hospital, Darlinghurst in Sydney.