- Divisional Boards 19th Century
- Municipal Councils 20th Century
- Map of Shire
- Waterways of the Shire
- Statistics of the Shire 1911 and 1921
- The Naming of Downfall Creek
- Downfall Creek to Chermside
- Settlements in Kedron Shire
- Population & Education
- Occupations up till 1925:
- Kedron Shire Council Minutes
- The Kedron War Council
- The Marchants Gift the Land for Marchant Park
- Map Showing the Location of Buildings
- World War I Memorial Gates Marchant Park 3-5-1924
- Brisbane City Council Replaces Kedron Shire
- Shire Office in Marchant Park
- The End of the Road
Divisional Boards 19th Century
Shortly after the Colony of Queensland was formed in 1869 the Colonial Government had to divide the state into areas of local government which led to the establishment of Divisional Districts each under a local Divisional Board. The Board consisted of a mixture of locally elected and Colonial Government appointees.
However, according to the editorial of the first issue of the Morton Bay Courier, Saturday 29th June 1846, there was fierce opposition to such a proposal.
District Councils (the frozen vipers, over whose monstrous birth their anxious author watched, only to see them trodden under foot by those in whose bosoms he sought to thrust them, or, if received, with fangs extracted, powerless to wound, and objects of derisive pity) are unknown among us. The growing importance, however of our chief town, and the district contiguous, renders us in common with the colonist at large, anxious to witness either their modification or their total repeal.
This attitude seemed to be persisting into the 1880s according to the comment made by John Cole re: 1880.
In 1879 the Divisional Boards Act set up the Nundah Divisional Board which included all the land from Breakfast Creek to the South Pine River. This area was further subdivided as the population grew.
In 1884 the Nundah Div. Board was assigned portion 559 of 3 ac 2 r on Gympie Road, Downfall Creek on which to build the Shire/Div. Board offices. (Downfall Creek was the original name for Chermside; the change of name was made in 1903.)
Municipal Councils 20th Century
Brisbane 1859-1959 - Greenwood, Gordon & Laverty, John - 1959 - City of Brisbane Council Publication p.215
The 1896 Royal Commission recommended that two systems of Divisional Boards and Municipal Councils be combined into a unified system of towns and shires and this was done in 1902 with the Local Authorities Act.
p.216/7 - voting was on a property qualification so that the person who paid the rates could vote - it could be the owner or the occupier of the property. Plural voting was normal with an elector having up to three votes, Aborigines, South Sea Islanders and Asians. After 1902 a voter had to be a natural-born or naturalised rate-payer. In 1915 the Ryan government tried to abolish this system and replaced it with adult franchise and one vote per elector but was frustrated by the conservative Legislative Council. Not until 1920 were the reforms accomplished by which time the Labor Government had managed to put enough sympathetic members in the Leg Council to pass the bill.
p.298 - The argument of the Labor party was that the franchise should be related to citizenship and not property - people who lived in an area were interested in the welfare of the area and thus should be able to vote in local elections.
There was a lot of apathy among the voters as shown by the need of the Queensland Government in 1915 had to appoint five Aldermen, in 1919 it was 45 and in 1920 it was at least 34 .
1901 15th February - the Nundah Div. Board was renamed Kedron Shire Council as the area had nothing to do with Nundah after the earlier changes.
Map of Shire
Size of Shire
The Shire measured 16 km on the N/S axis and 13 km on the E/W axis. Gympie Road forms the N/S axis while the Northern Railway covers a roughly similar route on the East side of the road. The major roads follow a N/S - E/W grid pattern on the fairly flat land of the old shire. The area was 111 sq km or 43 sq miles. Kedron Shire: Proclaimed a Local Authority 11/11/1879
Waterways of the Shire
The shire was traversed in an East - West direction by four major drainage features:
North: The South Pine River formed the northern and part of the western boundary;
Upper Central: Cabbage Tree Creek - through Everton Hills, Carseldine, Deagon into Moreton Bay;
Lower Central: Downfall Creek - Through Chermside West, Chermside, Virginia into Nundah Creek. A minor creek, Zillman Waterholes also joins Nundah Creek.
South: Kedron Brook formed the southern boundary.
Statistics of the Shire 1911 and 1921
Source: Statistics of the State of Qld 1910 John Oxley Library (S319.43 1 J.O.L.)
Another copy of the same series for 1921 is also available and I have taken figures from it to update the figures below.
Population in 1911 - 2,400 - 3 Divisions - 9 Councillors.
1921 - 5,834 - 124% increase
1911 550 occupied dwellings - none unoccupied. 50 other buildings
1921 1,250 - 56% increase - 30 unoccupied - 72 other
1911 509 Ratepayers - 725 voters on the roll. Number of votes 241 (Voting may not have been compulsory)
1921 (2,553 - up 401%) (2,944 voters - up 306%)(2237 votes - up 828%)
1911 Income: Rates (Pounds) 584/14/5 + Other sources 169/10/7
Expenditure: Public Works 1,143/5/7 Loan Repayments 65/17/4 Interest on Loans 37/14/4 Office Expenses & Salaries 220 Other 200
Total value of freehold property 159,326 - No other type of title such as Selections or Leases. 1921 318,660
General Rate: 2½ to 3 pence in the Pound on Property Value. There does not seem to be any Sanitary or Cleansing Rate, which could mean that night soil pits and home rubbish dumps were used. There is no mention of lighting.
In 1921 the charges were (3 to 4 pence + Ύ penny lighting + Ό penny health)
The Naming of Downfall Creek
German missionaries arrived in the Convict settlement on what is now Brisbane River at the end of January 1838 and settled at what they named Zion Hill in the present suburb of Nundah.
Their aim was to convert the Indigenous people to Christianity. They soon established an out station Naunger about thirty-five miles to the north-west, possibly near the present Caboolture, which had to be regularly supplied with foodstuffs via bullock wagons.
The following excerpt is taken from a copy of the Queenslander Saturday 13th December 1902 p. 23 - 24 which would have been close to living memory of the incident.
In one of the journeys the place now known as Downfall Creek received its name. A dray laden with corn, and drawn by four bullocks, stuck fast in the mud there, and in the efforts made to drag the dray out the creek the pole broke and all attempts to move it (the wagon) failed. There were two of the missionaries with it, Mr. Gerler, and one named Hartenstein, and after some consultation it was decided that Mr. Gerler should take the oxen on to the station (Burpengary?) and bring back help, while Mr Hartenstein should remain to guard corn. He was a timid man, and very much afraid of the blacks, and when night was coming he could hear them assembling in the neighbourhood, and he rushed away, and hid himself. But when help came in the morning the corn was found to be safe, but its protector was nowhere to be seen. Some time was spent in cooeeing and searching, and at last Hartenstein crawled out from behind a log about half a mile away from the dray, where he had hidden himself for safety; and they found also that the blacks had camped about the same distance in an opposite direction, being afraid to go near the dray for fear of him! There was plenty of fear on both sides.
There is a report that the creek was known as Hartenstein's Downfall but was shortened to Downfall Creek with the passage of time.
David Teague in his History of Chermside, Second Edition 1977 p.67 examines the story using as his source a grandson of Mr. Hartenstein, Mr. Frank Waldo Potts, who recalled a family story of the incident. David's story is much the same as the one above but he adds some caveats.
He points out that "the crossing almost certainly would not have been in the Chermside section of the creek." (The more direct route would have been along a track following the modern course of Sandgate Road which crosses Downfall Creek at Virginia near the Virginia Railway Station.)
Why would Mr. Gerler go to Burpengary to get help rather than to the much closer Nundah?
It may not have been the creek running through Chermside. (Maybe Zillman Waterholes?)
Downfall Creek to Chermside
There was no provision for a village in Huxtable's survey of 1864 but the hamlet which originated in about the the late 1860's was called Downfall Creek after the creek of that name. The village grew up beside the northern road close enough to the creek for a water supply and far enough away to avoid flooding.
In 1903 the Head Teacher of the school, which opened in 1900, Mr. James Youatt organised a petition to change the name to Chermside after the then Governor of Queensland.
Because of its central location in the Shire and its growing population Chermside was selected to serve as the administrative centre of the Shire. Consequently the Kedron Shire Office was erected on the western side of Gympie Road at the intersection with Murphy Road.
Settlements in Kedron Shire
In 1925 the Kedron Shire would have comprised the following suburbs and proto suburbs:
Aspley, Bald Hills, Chermside, Everton Park, Geebung, Gordon Park, Kedron, Stafford, Zillmere with farmland and bush covering most of the area
Downfall Creek/Chermside and these early settlements grew from a small semi-independent villages where people both lived and worked until the settlements grew into suburbs of Brisbane. As the city expanded in the Post WWII era these early settlements acquired many occupants who travelled to work outside the suburb.
Population & Education
Population: Source: 1911 Census as published in the Statistics of the State of Qld 1910 John Oxley Library (S319.43 1 J.O.L.) There is also a 1921 copy of the series in the library.
1901 2,500 22.5 / sq km
1911 2,529 22.8 / sq km
1921 5,834 52.5 / sq km
1996 Population of the Kedron Shire Area is about 112,000 people which would give a density of 1,009 per square kilometer.
This gives some idea of the population growth over the 20th Century.
Source: Brisbane City Council Community Profiles (1996 figures) for population.
Leaving age in Queensland:
Before 1912 - 12 years
Between 1912 and 1951 it was 14 years but if a child passed Scholarship s/he could leave school.
From 1952 leaving age was 14 years
From 1965 it became 15 years.
A sample of 20 WWI Diggers from the local area showed that they were probably all literate having attended primary school; however none went on to high or secondary school. Up until World War I primary education was considered sufficient for the manual jobs that the local area offered.
Occupations up till 1925:
This list shows only the ones working in Chermside and surrounding district. Some travelled into Brisbane Town for work and these numbers increased as transport improved. The people working in Chermside and District were mostly manual workers including those working in shops.
Tanneries and Slaughter Yards:
Tanner, Currier (One who dresses tanned leather by soaking, scraping, paring, beating and colouring), Steam Engine Driver, Slaughter man,
Carpenter, Builder, Painter, Brick maker, Joiner, Contractor, Labourer,
Service Industries in Chermside:
Hairdresser; Storekeeper; Hawker; Butcher, Butcher's man; Bootmaker, Cemetery man, Tinsmith, Milkman, Teacher, Fishing Tackle Maker, Policeman, Baker, Dressmaker, Stone Mason, Saddler, Council Workers, Guardians (For Wards of the State - Orphans)
Wheelwright, Coach Builder, Coach Painter, Drayman, Wood Carter, Horse Bus Driver, Blacksmith, Bullock Driver
Small crop farmers, Dairy Farm, Piggery, Orchardist,
Kedron Shire Council Minutes
This is a summary of the original Minutes taken from the books in the Queensland State Archives by Beverley Isedale & P. O'Shea. It is meant to give a brief look at the type of business conducted by the Kedron Shire Council.
Note: Sums of money are recorded in the old Sterling system of Pounds, Shillings and Pence Eg. o10/5/6 the o small circle or a small square
QA00242 - Kedron Divisional Board - Established by Proclamation dated 11/11/1879 under the Divisional Boards Act of 1879 under the Name of Nundah
19/1/1901 Changed name to Division of Kedron
31/3/1903 Changed name to Kedron Shire Council - QA00244 -
1/10/1925 Changed to Brisbane City Council
Electric light - Kedron Shire Council SRS 40-1-744 List Microfilm (1/1/1923)
Source: SRS 3665/1 - 4/1906 - 9/1914 Item 1 - K.S.C. Minutes
3/4/1906 The Corporate Seal of the Council is imprinted on Page 3 of the Minute Book. Again of P 47 on the 5/3/1907 The Seal is 40mm in diameter and made of metal. It is pressed on the page and produces the following impression. Kedron Shire Council circle around the edge. Within the circle are the words Corporate Seal.
Another Corporate seal is kept at the Qld State Archives and is 43mm in diameter. It is inscribed with the words Kedron Divisional Board circling around the edge. Within the circle the words Corporate Seal are inscribed.
6/3/1906 - Councillors: Ken Macpherson (Chair), M. J. Gallagher, MacKenzie, J. King, R. Flemming, J. Krimmer, H. Day, E. Ridley. (No apologies)
S6 1906 - Compensation claim - George Early 3/3/6;
Gympie Road near Edinburgh Castle Hotel
W. E. Sammells' permission to plant shade trees;
7/8/1906 (p 19) Hy Noon asked for the removal of stumps in the street passing his residence on Everton Park Estate. Passed for action.
P. 23 4/9/1906
James -Slaney - letters;
P. 25 Slaughter yard proprietors.
P. 28 - 2/10/1906
Lands Dpt correspondence - willingness to leave Zillman Recreation Revenue to Council
P. 29 - Cr. Burgess asked for clearing and levelling of Maundrell Rd between Matthew's gate and Burgess's Corner - Letter to Works Committee;
Beams Rd being reformed, to be graded;
Cowie Rd to be left as is;
Toombul Shire - hyacinth weed.
P. 32 - 6/11/1906
From Windsor S C 4/17/4 share of costs to improve Blackall Bridge 1902;
Stock Dpt. Inspector to co-operate with Council re suppressing nuisance of the use of blood as manure by farmers;
W. Graham, Aspley, applied for farmers slaughtering licence - no objections;
G. K. Newman offered services for plumbing whenever necessary;
Lands Dpt agreed to lease Zillmere Reserve for 10 years at 5/- per year;
P. 35 The Gympie Rd No. 1, 2 & 3 was under repair.
P. 37 - 4/12/1906
Sisters of Mercy Nudgee Orphanage - require money to repair cyclone damage of 1905 - unable;
Slaughterhouse licences for R. Trout, G. Comadi & Cr Cock;
Agreement with Sandgate that Sgt pay 2/3, Kedron 1/3 of two bridges maintenance at Cabbage Tree Creek, repairs necessary to Downfall Creek bridge near Virginia.
P. 41 - 2/1/1907
R. J. Jackman applied for renewal of slaughterhouse licence for old premises. Darragh Jackman's promise of 12 months ago to build new ones by 1/7/1907 - agreed if conditions acted on (with Sandgate Council);
Chong Foon, a Chinaman of EVP (Everton Park) applied for slaughterhouse licence - Council's objection addressed to the Licensing Court was that the Chinese had no recognised place to kill in.
P. 47 - 5/2/1907
Reappoint Mr Wallis as clerk, valuator, Inspector of Works & Inspector generally - 180 per annum & Fodder allowance of 10 p.a. Gangers 7/6; Labourers 7/- ; Draymen 10/-; per day;
Pay half costs with Toombul S. C re Bilsen Boundary Road;
Sandgate SC disagreed re costs on Cabbage Tree Bridge;
W. Cullen complaining of bad smell from Chinamen's piggeries at EVP, prosecution the only effective remedy. The Chairman and Clerk were to take immediate action.
Lang & Simpson applied for farmer's slaughtering licenses OK;
John Cruse - permission to establish boiling down works at Aspley, objection by A. Morris Chairman of Alpley S. S. Committee - opposed - held over;
C. F. Jordan intention to remove bone mill from Zillmere to Aspley - held over;
State of Gympie Rd (Councillor Gallagher) in front of Edinburgh Castle Hotel - rough with water ruts. Referred to Committee;
Worn state of deck of Kedron Park Bridge; Polluted state of Kedron Brook - refer to Windsor for last two items;
25 allowance for Chairman
Letter from A. C. M. Campbell - unfairly treated re blood manure in his paddock, presented petition signed by Hyde, P. Fingst, McKam, Herman, Ghodes protesting against clerk's letter;
Campbell present admitted he created a nuisance along roads when he carted manure;
Clerk read letter from Agric Dpt re blood leaving Woodcock's yard - referred to Health Committee;
Toombul SC - water hyacinth in Shaw's Swamp - compel to clean up -let lie;
The Sisters of Mercy appear again on 5/3/1907 followed by were unable to at present to sell the Council gravel from their grounds. But since the letter had been received the Sisters had informed the Council that the Council could have some gravel.
Letter from G.N.0. Fellows of Stafford Lodge - Council to build a new culvert in front of their gate leading to the New Hall by 1st March. Opening the hall with a concert and ball the cost to be paid by Lodge;
5/3/1907 J. H. Simpson - growth of Noogooora Burr (What?) on Cribb's land at South Pine; Council called on all owners or occupiers of property in the Shire having noxious weeds thereon to immediately destroy the pest.
On 5/3/1907 Mr Shaw given 7 days to clear his swamp of Water Hyacinth or Council would do the work at his risk and cost.
Inspected Jordan's paddock at Aspley - not to allow any noxious trade be carried on there beyond actual bone crushing - get permit - but absolutely no dealings with blood or other slaughter yard offal;
Cruse at Aspley - site unsuitable - no permit;
Clerk to write to A. C. M. Campbell to desist carting any more slaughter yard manure along our roads and to bury without delay the heap in his paddock;
Clerk to compel Shaw to eradicate water hyacinth;
Repairs to Kedron Park Bridge estimated at 65;
Clerk - bad bus accommodation provided by Siemon for Kedron district;
2/5/1907 Counsellor Gallagher - present bus service a farce and useless - forward a letter asking for improved service and a recognised stand near Gallagher's or Council (under its powers) would act.
P. 66 - 4/6/1907
G. Hay permission to build a water trough on upper side of Edinburg Castle Hotel - approval granted.
Chairman attended a Conference of Local Government - waste of time as no two authorities could agree on same bases of contribution;
Letter from Mr Siemon re running busses to top of Cemetery Hill - willingness to meet Council - Council hoping to get stand on top of Cemetery Hill and services to and from this point every half hour;
Hack had discontinued burying blood and reverted to the old system recently condemned by Health Committee;
Mr Jordan applied for permission to experiment with a few gallons of blood in the dry pan system - under inspection of Health Committee to witness trial
P. 74 - 6/8/1907
Council approved land at Bald Hills as a reservation;
Impossible to get Siemon to run his busses to top of Gallagher's Hill - no amount of persuasion - held over;
Mr Millar - Bald Hills - needed road into property, would provide horse and dray;
P. 78 - 3/9/1907
Letter from G. Rainey - asked for entrance to his property Cock's Road - OK on usual terms;
Goat nuisance at Kedron;
Letter for D. Hay & D. McNamara asking for improvements to road in front of Edinburg castle Hotel;
R. Graham - lantana be cleared off roads around Marshall's from Albany Creek Road;
J. C. Jackman that clearing on road in front of his land Cabbage Tree Creek;
H. Horn - permit for killing pigs and calves - OK;
J. J. Horsfall asked a stand pipe be erected on Rode Road - held over;
Petition signed by about 16 residents of Chermside asking for a stand pipe and water trough at C'side - received - Board of Water Works be applied to;
Petition for J. Beckett and others for opening west end of Fairfax Road - no funds available at present;
Draymen to get extra 1/-(one shilling) per day;
Toombul S. C. water hyacinth in Shaw's Swamp two men put on to clean Kedron Brook;
Secretary of Commonwealth military forces - asked Council to open subscription list towards a Challenge trophy for the Empire Matches -write to various Rifle Clubs;
Board of Water Works - no connection at the main allowed;
Schonnheim's pollution behind Edinburg Castle - agreed to put down two filters;
Health Committee to inspect Tanyards and Fellmongers meet at Packer & Knox;
Letter received from Siemon & Sons re bus stand at Edinburgh Castle - (no details)
Report on McPherson Boundary Road (with Sandgate) and Depot bridge - work discreditable throughout - useless to ask them to improve job, cost 1 more than agreed to;
John Barbour (?) - complaint re bush fires on road damaged his fences. Council replied that it was the result of a bush fire on a road not recognised by Council and in its natural state. Council offered sympathy.
Toombul S. C. asking Kedron Windsor and Enoggera to send delegates re hyacinth problem - two members;
Local policeman not in safe position - hampered by being beyond boundaries in preparation of the Towns Police Act, Shire should be brought under that Act;
Dry white gum tree on Beams Road so near the Gate house - dangerous to gatekeeper.
W. G. Hawkins, Alec MacPherson & G. W. Carseldine trustees of the reserve for recreation purposes.
Health Dpt Committee forthwith prevent pollution of Kedron Brook by Fellmongers and Tanners - report of Health Committee re visit to Maunsell's Fellmongery - read and adopted;
Ella Marsen - repairs to Richmond Street;
J. McKenzie - unable to complete Kedron Bridge repairs, asked to be released (too much work) G. Bowser to complete the job for 50. Council's employees would complete the tarring and painting , the lot be completed for the original contract price.
Second Minute Book
Source: SRS 3665/1 Item 2 Kedron S. C. Minute Book 1.9.1914 to 2.8.1921.
Police taking action to appraise number of Cars exceeding the speed limit. (Correspondence from Police Dpt)
Charles Willis Shire Clerk (No idea when he was appointed)
Moved Miss Willis be appointed clerical assistant to Shire Clerk (Charles Willis) at a salary of 30 shillings per week. Amendment moved that salary be 25 shillings - defeated and the motion carried.
Letter from the Police Commissioner - no addition to police strength in the district. Zillmere covered from Sandgate.
Application from D. S. J. Barker to erect piggery - petitions against - moved that the Health Committee Chairman and the Clerk inspect site on 9th September and report back;
Thomas Barker applied for piggery on Portion 523,526 Downfall creek - also to be inspected.
Misses Gallagher and others asked for clearing on Cemetery Road - will be attended to;
Asked for fellmongering and tanneries (Rec) action to prosecute - Kedron Brook;
Copy of petition re Barkers piggery application on 142 Kedron (North side of Kitchener Road between Gympie and Webster Roads) refer to Health Dpt and Health Committee - suitable site - approved;
P. 8 - Deputation with Windsor re the Tram Co. about the matter of a tram terminus at Kedron Park Bridge
P. 9 - Special Meeting 19/10/1914 - report of Health and Home Dpts on Barker's proposed piggery and to consider application of Thomas Barker for permit for piggery on Portion 526 Downfall Creek. Home Dpt. - no objection to site of D. S. J. Barker - petitions from 75 ratepayers and residents in support - Permit granted to D. S. J. Barker. Permission granted Thomas Barker - piggery on portion 526 Downfall Creek. (Western side of Webster Road about midway between Hamilton and Rode Roads)
P. 10 - 3/11/1914
T. A. Hamilton present
R. Maggs - water course on Castle Road encroaching on his land, also pollution from Gallagher's down to his paddock
P. 11 Oatlands Estate plan received;
P. 12 - D. S. J. Barker - letter of thanks re piggery;
Donation to Brisbane General Hospital - bad financial position - all work suspended;
P. 13 - 1/12/1914
Thomas A Hamilton present
Dpt of Health - Meeting with Council's Medical Officers to discuss Infantile Paralysis (Poliomyelitis or Polio)- Council has no medical officer and decided to send (Dr A. C.) Halford to represent Council
P. 14 - Virginia Brick Co asking for hyacinth weed to be removed -the creek is full of weed - Council refused as the part mentioned would be useless without clearing all the creek.
P. 16 - Ask Q. N. Bank to remove weed (prickly pear) from Michael's Pocket - Portion 342 Nundah- the Government called on Sandgate Town, Pine and Redcliffe Shires to clear Prickly Pear from their areas.
Health Committee's report on visit to G. Gibson's farmyards re effluent - watch for progress;
P. 17 - 5/1/1915 - T. A. Hamilton present
Kedron Ratepayers Association asking for water trough at Barrows to be transferred to Gympie Road;
P. 19 - Valuations for 1915 - Division 1 - 101,250 - Division 2 - 112,202 - Division 3 - 59,334
P. 20 - 2/2/1915 - T. A. Hamilton nominated Chairman for the year also Gibson nominated - deadlock - meeting adjourned to 9/2/1915 - no quorum.
P. 22 - 16/2/1915 - deadlock again
P. 23 - 2/3/1915 - Deputy Governor in Council appointed J. Gibson as Chairman - T. A. Hamilton on General Improvements C'tee and Legislative C'tee;
Junior Clerk Miss Willis to marry Cr. Antony - Mr Willis - Clerk
Wages: Gangers 9/-; Labourers 8/6; Drayman one horse 11/-; Engine Driver 11/6 per day. Chairman's allowance 25 per annum;
P. 25 - E. Weeks - farmer's permit to slaughter pigs and calves at Gleadhill Farm Geebung - yes;
Health Dpt - form for infectious diseases 1914;
P. 26 - T. A. Hamilton - plan of road on portion 573 - approved - 20 and 15;
Plan of Kedron Heights Estate
P. 27 - pear infestation on of Nudgee and Sandgate Roads;
Kedron Central Progress Association - erect lamp at Barron's Corner;
P. 28 - Syd Maunsel - asked to keep water from Stafford and Turner Roads off his land - His reply was that the water course was on his land and had to run there.
Home Sweet Home Estate;
Brisbane General Hospital invited subscriptions;
P. 29 - P. M. G. permission to erect a public telephone and posting box at Barron's Corner - yes;
Q. D. Bank - Wilson's Estate - 50 towards streets and culverts before sale date.
P. 30 - Home Dpt - list of picture palaces? None in Shire
The Chairman reported that the Kitson Light Co. (Sic) would erect a lamp at Barron's Corner and maintain it, for 15/0/0 per year, or erect a lamp for the Council for 18/0/0, to be the Council's property, and the Council to maintain it. This would cost about 15/0/0 per year. Mr Gallagher moved that Mr Lores offer to maintain a light at Barron's Corner for 12 months be accepted. Seconded by the Chairman.
George Marchant's gift of land offer
Incoming correspondence: ------ letter from Kitson Lighting and Heating Co. Ltd., asking that the number of street lamps in the Shire be increased, as the revenue from the present number is insufficient to meet the cost of maintenance, and stating that with four or five more, the cost per lamp could be reduced to 15/10/0 per annum.
Letter received and the decision left to the Works Committee. A similar letter followed on the 7/12/1920 and the result was no action at present.
Incoming correspondence: ----- from the manager of Kitson Lighting and Heating Co. Ltd.: Supply six (6) lamps at 17/10/0 each, or 8 at 17/0/0 each. Council to pay carting and wages to erect and fit same. Council bought the lamps (How many? Leasing or outright purchase?)
Incoming correspondence: ------ letter from Kitson Lighting and Heating Co. Ltd. submitting the matter of entering into a lighting contract and also question of increasing the number of lights in this area. No action taken.
BRI/U7 General correspondence - Bridge on downfall Creek
MRC plant Hire Charges 1/2/1927 Bitumen Starring plants, drills, engines (Robey, Marshall
Specifications -- M.R. G. 13/7/1927
Kedron Brook Bridge - Mention of small name plate - letter from F. C. Trees - 11/7/29 to BCC - marble tablet to be erected on concrete bridge ppp Gallagher's tanneries 7.
Kedron Bridge - 2/12/1926 from BCC to H. Bush, McLennon Street Albion - Council won't agree to erection of tablet with names of late W.B.C as it refused to contribute towards Bridge Cost.
26/2/1926 - Gibson & Sutherland (Bridge contractors) to Alderman W. A. Jolly - received;
List of names of members of late K. S. C. from Mr David, S. J. Barker (ex Chairman) for inserting them on tablet on new bridge;
Barker thanks BCC for agreement 21/3/1927 - BCC to Gibson & Sutherland - BCC agreeable to "Kedron Parks Bridge erected 1927".
19/6/1930 - Private hospital - Bill and Austin Streets Nundah - plans approved.
The Kedron War Council
Back Row: T A Hamilton, J G Argo, A Marquis, C. Wren, D. Barker, S. Mison
Middle Row: D. Knox, N. Veith, Ken McPherson, James Hamilton, R. Antony, T.P. Maitland, W. Robison, W. Hawkins, P. Carter
Front Row: M. J. Gallagher, John King, J. Rodgers, J. Gibson, C. Willis, John Mackie, T. Burchell
The Kedron War Council was a branch of the Queensland War Council so probably all shires had their own W. C. and all probably had similar aims.
The Kedron W. C. usually met in the Shire Hall, which was probably the Shire Office at the junction of Murphy and Gympie Roads, Chermside but for special events they could meet in other places, such as one meeting at Bald Hills.
One meeting in reported in the Telegraph 16-6- 1916 p. 3 expressed its' "deepest sympathy with his relatives and the Empire in the loss of so valuable a life as Lord Kitchener's"; the War Council was very patriotic and the ties with Great Britain were strong.
Fund raising was a core objective as they needed funds to carry out their aims of helping the widows of Diggers who were killed in service and to assist those who were disabled. It was decided to make, "a systematic canvas of the district for voluntary subscriptions to aid our returned wounded and dependents of those at the front". Also "the Do without week is to be closely observed throughout the shire". This latter action may have been state wide and organised by the Queensland W. C.
An interesting couple of resolution was passed by the Kedron W. C. that seemed to be German 'baiting' when it was agreed that the following resolutions he forwarded to the Hon. the Premier of the State, with a hope that they be given effect to by the Government and military authorities:
1. "That the Kedron War Council is of opinion that persons of enemy origin living in the State are not bearing their due proportion of the burden of this war, and we recommend that the Government adopt the necessary measures to cause a special' tax to be levied, upon them as a war tax."
2. "That the attention of the State Government be directed to the lack of sympathy and assistance given to any of the war funds by some subjects of enemy origin throughout Queensland, and that the State Government be respectfully requested to cooperate with the defense authorities in formulating a scheme to rectify the position; also that no subjects of enemy origin should occupy any responsible position under the Government until 12 months after the war."
It would be interesting to know if the Government did as requested!
General John Monash, Australia's greatest general and distinguished Battle Winner who was knighted on the battlefield by King George V was not only of German descent but he was also a Jew, and he was attacked and discriminated against by very influential persons for both of these features. When he died in 1930, some 300,000 attended his funeral.
A public meeting convened by the Kedron War Council was held in the Bald Hills 'School of Arts, on Thursday evening, at 8 o'clock. .Messrs. T. Bridges and H. Walker, M.L.A., addressed, the meeting and, the following resolution was moved, seconded and carried : "That this meeting of citizens of Bald Hills pledge ourselves to vote yes on 28 th October and do all we can to assist Mr. Hughes to bring in conscription."
Mr. Ken Macpherson, on behalf of the Bald Hills Patriotic Committee and residents presented Private J. Riley, a local hoy, who has just joined the A.I.F., with a gold medal, and wished him god speed and a safe" return. (Telegraph 14-10-1916 p.10)
Telegraph 17-1-1918 p. 2
The Kedron branch of the Queensland War Council met at the Shire hall, Chermside on Tuesday evening, In consequence of the stormy night, the attendance was not up to the average, and the chairman expressed a wish that more interest be taken in the work of the council by the residents of the shire, as much was required to be done for the comfort of the boys at the front. Comforts in the form of socks, scarfs, Balaclava caps, knee caps, mittens, &c., collected by the committee are to be transmitted at once to the boys at the front.
It looks like 'battle fatigue' was being felt on the home front.
The Brisbane Courier 21-8-1919 reported The Kedron War Council met In the Shire Hall last night. Several claims for assistance from returned soldiers were dealt with. The council decided that£300 of the funds be divided amongst soldiers' widows in the shire. Some applications were received for land in the shire for the use of returned men.
The Marchants Gift the Land for Marchant Park
In 1917 the Kedron Council, at the prompting of the State Government, approached the Marchants to buy 10 acres (4 ha) for a park. To their surprise the Marchants, in a letter dated 20-3-1917, offered the Council the whole 97 acres as a gift. The Council hesitated, they would lose the rates on the property, then there was the cost of fencing it, etc, etc.
Also the Marchants wanted August Vellnagel's Blacksmith Shop removed and finally the Kedron Shire Council agreed to:
To transfer the Council Offices and Residence into Marchant Park on the ridge between the site of the present Nos. 1 & 2 Cricket Fields. The contractor was A. G. McKenzie & Brothers for the sum of eighty-nine pounds fifteen shillings. Dated 11th October 1921.
To make the vacated Council Paddock on the west side of Gympie Road the new site for Vellnagel's Blacksmith Shop.
To transfer Vellnagel's Blacksmith Shop to the new site. The contractor was Mr. Isaac White for the sum of one hundred and eighty pounds. Dated 19th April 1921
Hard Copies of the specifications of the work and the Memorandums of Agreement are in the CDHS Archives in the Local Government - Kedron Shire Council file
August Vellnagel was not happy and had to be persuaded to move but Marchant's idea was better for the public benefit as a Blacksmith's Shop beside a park was not ideal.
Map Showing the Location of Buildings
Vellnagel's Blacksmith Shop was on the corner of Marchant Park at the intersection of Gympie and Murphy Roads.
The Kedron Council Office was directly opposite on the other (west) side of Gympie Road. It was shifted into Marchant Park, turned around facing Gympie Road between No.1 and No.2 cricket fields.
Vellnagel's Blacksmith's Shop was shifted across Gympie Road on to the vacated site of the Kedron Council Office. The white buildings are those of Vellnagel's forge, workshop etc. The forge has been preserved but the present occupant is Dixon Homes.
World War I Memorial Gates Marchant Park 3-5-1924
One of the last acts of the Kedron Shire Council was to erect and dedicate the Great War Memorial Gates at Marchant Park to the memory of those who served and especially to those who died.
Enlisted 284 - Returned 231 Fallen 53
In 1972 some of the marble plaques were smashed by vandals and while the Council replaced the plaques they did not inscribe the names. This was done in 2002 by the Chermside & District Historical Society after a long search to find the missing names.
Brisbane City Council Replaces Kedron Shire
On 1st October 1925 the first Lord Mayor William Jolly took over the administration of the new City of Brisbane which was formed by the amalgamation of 20 Councils composed as follows:
Two Cities: Brisbane and South Brisbane
Six Towns: Hamilton, Ithaca, Sandgate, Toowong, Windsor and Wynnum
Twelve Shires: Balmoral, Belmont, Coorparoo, Enoggera, Kedron, Moggill, Sherwood, Stephens, Taringa, Tingalpa, Toombul and Yeerongpilly.
Shire Office in Marchant Park
When the Shire Office was transferred to Marchant Park in 1921 it was located facing Gympie Road and a Palm was planted nearby. This dead palm in the photo could be that palm. It still stands on the top of the ridge running East-West through Marchant Park. And this is the best spot for a building on the Gympie Road side.
The site is on flat land between No.1 and No.2 Cricket Fields.
The End of the Road
The building was bought by the Friedrich (Fred) Staib who had a small farm on Webster Road, near the roundabout with Hamilton Road. It was on what is now the Prince Charles Hospital grounds.
Fred used the materials to build the family a new house on the farm. In photos of the house the scalloped barge boards of the old Kedron Shire Office can be clearly seen on the then new house.
But now even that house is long gone. Only the Memorial Gates on Marchant Park act as a memorial for the old Shire.