Home - Chermside & District History

Dead Man's Gully, Chermside.

Dead Man's Gully, Chermside.

1865 A small unnamed creek flowing from Somerset Hills crossed what became Gympie Road and went along Kuran Street. The place where it crossed the road was called Dead Man's Gully.

The BCC Archivist writes "Although there is no actual evidence to support the name, it is most likely due to the difficulty of crossing this section of Gympie Road prior to it being sealed, especially after heavy rain."

In 1866, Alexander Duff purchased 10 acres of land at "Dead Man's Gully,

On the 12th November 1868 the first Cobb & Co. coach ran from Brisbane to the Gympie gold fields. This coach stopped at Patterson's General Store at Dead Man's Gully.

In 1869 Andrew Hamilton purchased 20 acres for the sum of $24. Andrew Hamilton and his family settled at "Dead Man's Gully" and some of his descendants still reside in the area today.

A quick Google scan showed a number of Dead Man's Gullies at Cairns - Rockhampton - Dead Man's Gully Burial Ground at Castlemaine Victoria - Darnum, Victoria and Clifton Beach, Queensland.
Thomas Edward Spenser wrote a poem The Legend of Dead Man's Gully - Aust. Dictionary of Biography.
Most of the Dead Man's Gullies seem to be in remote areas, in the bush but the Chermside's DMG is right in the middle of Chermside within sound and smell of the roaring traffic on Gympie Road.


We usually associate dead people with cemeteries because that's where most of us occupy a grave with a headstone or in an unmarked grave. The latter is a sad sight, no mark for the person's name was the occupant unknown a stranger with no papers, Such persons exist, for example a sailor who 'jumped ship' and was afraid to register for fear he would be deported. We know of one such person in the Chermside area who married and had children and grandchildren, the family never knew until he died and they opened his sailors chest, literally a dead man's chest.