Home - Chermside & District History

1824-1864 The European Take Over

  • 11/9/1824 First convicts arrive in Moreton Bay (Fitzgerald p. 71) First settlement at Redcliffe but moved to Brisbane - Free settlers had to keep 50 miles away from the settlement of Moreton Bay & Limestone Hill (Ipswich) but by 1840 they were getting closer and wanted access. (Fitzgerald p. 89-90)
  • 1825 Census or muster - 45 European inhabitants (Teague p.7)
  • 1/3/1826 Logan arrives as Commandant (Fitzgerald p. 75) - Convict numbers went from 77 to 975 during Logan's time (Fitzgerald p. 81) A period of about 4.5 years.
  • 25/8/1828 Cunningham finds Cunningham's Gap and the route to the Darling Downs. (Fitzgerald p. 78)
  • 1830s First Bowen or Breakfast Creek bridge built by convicts out of logs (BCC Archives) Construction of the second one began in June 1850 and it was a two span steel arch bridge costing 150 half of which was paid for by public subscription. (BCC Archives)
  • 17/10/1830 Logan was last seen on the 17th October and his body was found 21st Oct (Fitzgerald p. 83)
  • 1831 Population of 1066 whites (Teague p.7)
  • 1834 Seven hundred convicts in Qld (Fitzgerald p. 87) Gov Bourke issues Squatters Licenses for grazing rights on Crown Land at 10 pa (Fitzgerald p.86)
  • 1837 Andrew Petrie arrived in 1837 as Superintendent of Works (Fitzgerald p.87)
  • 3/3/1838 First free white men settle in the Brisbane Area at Nundah were Lutheran missionaries at Zion Hill. (Pam Turner: First European Settlement of Qld, 1987, Zion Lutheran Home ISBN 0 7316 1425 9 in CDHS Archives p.5)
  • 1839 Penal settlement closed (Fitzgerald p. 89)
  • 11/2/1842 11th February Moreton Bay declared a free settlement (Fitzgerald p. 90)
  • 14/7/1842 First land sales for Moreton Bay held in Sydney - 343/10/0 per acre was the average price paid. (Fitzgerald p. 93) 13.5 acres were sold and some Sydney merchants paid exorbitant prices (Brisb p. 36) Survey of 1842 failed to straighten out Queen St and 20 years of use and building had set its pattern. (Brisb p.37/8)
  • 1843 Downfall Creek possibly named by Carl Friedrich Gerler (1817-1894) missionary and farmer when a bullock dray broke down while establishing a mission outstation at Caboolture. (Dept of Natural Resources in Place Names Details Report in CDHS Archives, Chermside File)
  • 1843 First industry in Brisbane reputed to be "Tinker" Campbell's boiling down works at Kangaroo Point (Brisb p. 39) Hunter River Steam Navigation Company starts a regular service between Brisbane and Sydney (Brisb p. 39)
  • 1/8/1843 First land sales in Brisbane (Fitzgerald p. 93) (Brisb p. 39)
  • 20/6/1846 Saturday First issue of the Moreton Bay Courier and was to be published every Saturday according to the then proprietor, Arthur Sydney Lyon. (Copy of the first issue in CDHS Archives)
  • 1848 John Mortimer takes up Manumbar Station of 64,000 acres (Courtesy of Gay Sparkes who culled it from "Where Two Rivers Run" by Dulcie Logan - subtitled "History of Kilkivan Shire" p.27 - 29.)
  • 1849 James Cash squats on land at Cash's crossing - (Teague, David - History of Albany Creek, Bridgeman Downs and Eaton's Hill - Colonial Press 1980 Souvenir Copy ISBN 0 909139 075 Brisbane City Council Library 994.31 tea) See also 1859 below.
  • 1849 Moreton Bay General Hospital founded (Brisb Hosp p. 50) (See 1867 reference below) 1/4/1850 Last Convict ship arrives (Brisb p. 46)
  • 1856 Scottish farmers arrive at Bald Hills (RSC)
  • 1857 James Warner surveys land on Kedron Brook - Chinese market gardeners lease creek flats - further surveys extended to Everton Park (RSC)
  • 27/9/1859 James Cash bought Portion 1 of Bunya Parish which fronted on the South Pine River where the Old Northern Road crossed it hence the name Cash's Crossing was given to the ford. Today it is the suburb of Albany Creek (Teague - Map of landholders in Bunya Parish)
  • 10/12/1859 10th December the Governor, Sir George Bowen, proclaimed the new colony of Queensland (Fitzgerald p.112)
  • 1860 The white population of Qld was about 28,000 with 6,000 of them in Brisbane (Fitzgerald p. 113) Crown Lands Alienation Act enabled the Gov to take land from pastoralists for selectors (Fitzgerald p. 145) at the price of 1 per acre (Teague p. p. 8)
  • 1861 Herman family arrive in Downfall Creek from Germany (Teague p. 16)
  • 1/11/1862 Bowen Bridge opened across Breakfast Creek (Teague p. 37) He gives no source and this date needs to be checked. (There were two bridges earlier than this date according to the BCC Archives)
  • 1863 Poultney family buys land where Everton Park library is now; build the house that has been moved to Fallon St (RSC)
  • 1864 System of land grants to fare-paying immigrants - small family farms (RSC) - Edgar Huxtable surveyed the site of the Downfall Creek - future Chermside area. These surveys marked the final takeover from the Aboriginal owners by establishing legal title to the land. From then on, specific sections of land with specific boundaries belonged to the person who bought them from the Government. (Photocopies of survey sheets signed by Huxtable 1st & 25th November 1864)