Home - Chermside & District History

Then and Now

Lavatory Thumbnail

About Then and Now: Catching the Changes
This section compares and contrasts photographs of present day buildings, places or people with previous photographs of the same subject. It is easy... 

Butcher to Spare Parts
There were many butcher's shops in early Downfall Creek-Chermside and they were in easy walking reach of the homes. These were the times when... 

Posts of the Kedron Shire Cattle Dip 2007

Cattle Dip to Parkland
While interviewing Hedley Barker about his activities as a pig farmer he told me how he went with his father to the Chermside Cattle Dip in 1934 to... 

Chermside State School - a history lesson
The school was built on two hectares (five acres) of land on the corner of Gympie and Rode Roads where the Uniting Church now stands. There were... 

Illustration of a swamp to illustrate coal formation

Coal Swamps to High Rise
Sometime over a hundred million years ago the area of Chermside district was the site of massive swamps with thick vegetation growing in them. The... 

Entertainment to Eye Hospital
Dawn Theatre 3rd November, 1928 to 9th August, 2005. In 1928, Maurice Tilley, a builder erected and named Chermside's first and, till 2000, only... 

Gympie Road 1909 & 2009
At some unknown date Alex Hamilton wrote the identities of the buildings on the back of the three original photos. In 1972 Stan Eddowes added his... 

Gympie road aerial thumbnail

Gympie Road 1946
This first photo shows the northern part of the Chermside area, Gympie Road had few buildings in this section. WEST SIDE of Gympie Road... 

Hamilton Saga - Blacksmith to Bank
Andrew & Margaret Hamilton Andrew Hamilton, a carpenter, joiner and wheelwright by trade, married Margaret Hall on 24/4/1848 at Devonport,... 

Kedron Omnibus Company
Local people from the Aspley, Chermside and Kedron areas went into the city to do their banking and shopping. Mrs Goodwin and her family operated a... 

Gallagher's Tannery back view_140

Leather to Biscuits & Cakes
Michael Joseph Gallagher (1852-1944) born in Ireland and after going to the USA and England arrived in the Colony of Queensland in 1882 and,... 

Local Transport through the Years
Travel to the Chermside district has changed from foot traffic by Aborigines to the latest “banana” buses operated by the Brisbane City... 

Low Set to High Rise
The first change in the street was closing off access to Hamilton Road and the instillation of new traffic lights. Then in late 2004 three houses at... 

First survey by Huxtable in 1864

Murphy's Gift to Chermside
On 29/9/1868 William Edward Murphy purchased 509 acres (206 Ha) of land, which became known as Murphy's Paddock . A second survey dated 15/2/1892... 

Noxious Industry to Parks and Houses
Slaughter yards were found on the edges of the town or city away from people's noses. Maybe people just didn't want to know the condition of the meat... 

Maggs home thumnail

Stately Home to Car Sales Yard
Maggs family home was a landmark on Gympie Road, Kedron. It stood beside the road and the large spreading verandas anchored to the large white... 

George Conradi's Polsloe Store on SW corner Latham & Gympie

Store to Office Block and Drive-in
This modern office block is very much in the late 20th Century mode and is an example of professional services replacing the earlier small business...