Home - Chermside & District History

Expansion 1865 - 1900

  • 10/5/1865 Governor Sir George Bowen opened the Bald Hills bridge which was the first bridge on the South Pine River (Carseldine p.7) (BHG)
  • 23/5/1865 First Chermside land sales held in Brisbane but no lots were sold (Teague p. 9) First land sale in area - "Darwin Street and Maundrell Terrace" Morris family (RSC)
  • 2/10/1865 Nundah State School opened, probably the first school in the area. (Ed Web)
  • 1866 The possible date of the first store in Downfall Creek which belonged to John Patterson and was on the site of the present Green (Caravilla) Motel near Banfield Street. At some time Patterson became the Receiving Officer for the postal service. The shop was taken over by George Early in about 1882; he also owned the land along Gympie Road to Hamilton Road. (A document written by Alex Hamilton and kept in the Hamilton Archives.)
  • 1866 Bald Hills State School opened (Ed Web)
  • 26/12/1866 Andrew Hamilton & family arrive in Brisbane (Isdale p. 6) Move to Downfall Creek in 1869 (Isdale p. 7)
  • 1867 New Brisbane Hospital opened at Bowen Bridge Road - the original block was demolished in 1969 to make way for the new Block No. 7 (Brisb Hosp p.96) See 1849.
  • 18/10/1867 - news of the gold discoveries at Gympie was announced in the Brisbane Courier and the rush began.
  • 1867 Jonathan Carseldine followed a cattle track through Adsett's property at Chermside and blazed a trail to Kedron Brook. This track is now Gympie Road. (Carseldine p. 9)
  • 1867 Andrew Hamilton went to the Gympie diggings, the trip took him two weeks on horseback and in some places the track was almost impossible to find. (THW)
  • 1868-1890 The Richmond Hill Estate was offered for sale. Bounded by Lutwyche Cemetery on the North & Brickyards on the South it offered 44 Lots at 25% of the price and 8% interest. Gympie Road was then called the Great Northern Road. (An estate poster, in the CDHS Archives, was dated by the artist's use of the original location of the Edinburgh Hotel (1860 to 1890) to show the location of the Estate.)
  • 1868 30 blocks of small urban farms sold in Chermside area, including one at little Cabbage Tree Creek - German settlers on Downfall Creek (RSC)
  • 1868 Early in 1868 the Qld Government allocated 2,700 ($258,800 in 2004 values) for the construction of a road to Gympie (Tranter p. 29) and by October 1868 the road was completed (Tranter p. 31) A letter, written by Fred J. Byerly, Engineer of Roads, stated that he had driven a two horse buggy over the new road in 28 hours travelling time. He was refuting the "statements which have been made as to the practicability of this road for vehicles." (Brisbane Courier 6-10-1868 p.5 signed Fred J Byerly)
  • 12/11/1868 - Thursday the first Cobb & Co coach, driven by Hiram Barnes, left Brisbane and arrived in Gympie on Friday evening 13th November 1868. (Tranter p. 32) There may have been a previous coach travelling the Great North Road through Cash's Crossing but the route was too long and rough (RSC)
  • 1869 In 1869 the locality was known as Dead Man's Gully (Joan Hamilton). By 1880 it was known as Downfall Creek (Cobb & Co Timetable) and in 1903 it became Chermside (Letter from James Youatt 1925)
  • 1871 Chermside population 103 (POP)
  • 1871 Lutwyche Methodist Church founded - (Later, Christadelphians bought building) (CKCC)
  • 4/9/1871 Enoggera State School opened (Ed Dept Records)
  • 1873 Hamilton house, Burnie Brae, commenced but finished much later (Isdale p. 10)
  • 1873 Downfall Creek Sunday School and Services (Methodist) commenced in a slab cottage on Aaron Adsett's property (Now Wheller Gardens) (Stan Eddowes "Testimony" Oct 1972 Chermside Churches File)
  • In 1877 a church was built (Methodist Centenary Booklet 1973)
  • 1873 Chermside Methodist Church founded (CKCC)
  • 1874 Chinaman's Creek (Albany Creek) road opens (RSC)
  • 1875 Bunya School opens (closed 1968) (RSC)
  • 1876 Post Office -Mail by the Gympie Coach to Downfall Creek (Teague p. 46) Since Cobb & Co were travelling to Gympie since 1867 then they would probably have been carrying mail since that date.
  • 1877 United Methodist Free Church builds first church in Downfall Creek, Rev E Turner pastor, cost of 100 approx (Jubilee Memories booklet 1877-1927 & Stan Eddowes). It was built on a block of land beside James Patterson's store and he donated the land (Stan Eddowes)
  • 22/1/1877 Zillmere State School opened (Ed Web)
  • 1879 Divisional Board Act set up for Local Government by Qld State Government. The Nundah Divisional Board extended from Breakfast Creek to the South Pine River (Teague Oxley)
  • 1879 Post Office - First Postal Receiving Office was in Patterson's store (Teague p. 26). Isdale (p. 11) agrees but mentions no date except to say that Patterson was in Downfall Creek before the Hamiltons who arrived in 1869. Receiver of Mail till 6/3/1884 (Teague p. 46)
  • 1880 Election of representatives for the subdivisions 2 and 3 of the Nundah Division and representatives appointed by the Colonial Secretary for Subdivision 1 as no one was elected. The government paid a subsidy of 2 for every 1 raised in rates for the first five years. (Teague Oxley)
  • 1880 From 1st January 1880 Cobb & Co carried the mail from the city on its two day run from Brisbane to Gympie. This mail was handed to a village receiving officer, as no Post Office had been established. (POR)
  • 1880 Gottlieb Conradi opened his Polsloe Store (Qld Builders Supplies Store) (Teague p. 27) First telephone exchange opened in Brisbane (Cole p. 21) Local Government Divisions gazetted but met farcical apathy, State Government had to appoint members in some cases and, within months, there were pressures to dismember the Divisions. (Cole p. 21)
  • 1880s More settlers arrived from Germany and England - more land sales. (RSC)
  • 1/5/1880 Local Government - Sandgate separated from Nundah Divisional Board (Cole p. 21)
  • 1881 Downfall Creek Population 181 (POP)
  • 1882 Mr G Early (Died 1909) took over Patterson's store (source Alex Hamilton who would have known this from his father Tom Hamilton's pencil written document in Hamilton Archives) Teague says the business continued till about 1965
  • 1883 Horse Trams appeared in Brisbane (Cole p. 21)
  • 1/11/1883 Local Government - Toombul divisional Board was formed after a petition asked that number three subdivision of Nundah Div Board become a separate division. (Teague Oxley) and (Cole p. 21)
  • 1884 Local Government - The Nundah Div Board was assigned portion 559 of 3 ac 2 r on Gympie Road, Downfall Creek on which to build the Shire/Div Board offices. (Teague Oxley) In 1921 they were moved into Marchant Park facing Gympie Road on top of the hill. (But Alex Hamilton maintained that the Offices and Clerk's residence were set up on top of the hill opposite Marchant's Paddock on the western side of Gympie Rd. Also Alf Vellnagel made the same claim in 2006 when he was 94: he died in 2008. There could have been two moves but very unlikely.
  • 6/3/1884 Post Office - First Postal Receiving Office in Patterson's store. Isdale notes that Patterson was in Downfall Creek before Hamiltons who arrived in 1869. Patterson handed over the Receiving Office of Mail to Andrew Hamilton on the 6/3/1884 (Letter from Under Secretary Post and Telegraph Department to Patterson. Alex Hamilton donated the original to the Post Office Records and the family has a copy.)
  • 1886 Local Government - the Nundah Divisional Board was re-subdivided into three wards with three representatives each (Teague Oxley)
  • 1886 Possibly the first Horse buses in Chermside were owned by David Goodwin of Edinburgh Castle Hotel who ran them to the city and in 1891 extended them to Aspley. (Teague p. 40)
  • 25/5/1886 Happy Valley (Stafford) State School opens (Ed Web)
  • 1/7/1886 First Post Office established, called Downfall Creek, with Andrew Hamilton as the Postmaster. He received 12 p.a. It was located at his forge. (POR) He took over as Postal Receiving Officer when Patterson finished on 6/3/1884. (See above)
  • 1887 Coal found at Downfall Creek on north side of Banfield Street, now the Westfield Shoppingtown site and also in Ballantine Street but it was not profitable. (C'side Parklands Planning Project BCC)
  • 1887 Victoria Estate (Stafford) Corner of Webster and Stafford Roads and includes School Road, Collier Street, Leiper Street offering 627 Blocks. (Estate Poster in Society Archives)
  • 1887 M. J. Gallagher built a tannery on Gympie Road at Kedron on the present site of Weston's biscuit and cake factory Top Taste. The tannery closed in 1960. (BHG)
  • 1888 James Caruthers Hutton opened Hutton's Bacon Factor at Zillmere. (Ford p. 5)
  • 1888 - Kedron Park Estate - South side of Kedron Brook around the old Kedron Park Racecourse. Includes Judge Road, Park Road 220 Lots (Estate Poster in Society Archives)
  • 1/3/1888 1st March 1888 opening of the North Coast Railway (Zillmere) (Ford p. 4) Also to North Pine (Petrie) (BHG)
  • 1889 Post Office - James Hamilton (son in law of Andrew) becomes Post Master (POR)
  • 1889 Newmarket Sale Yards conducted sales of cattle and sheep to local slaughter yards (RSC)
  • 1890 Stafford Park Estate, West side of Webster Road just north of Kedron Brook. Includes Wolverhampton Street to Hayward Street with 163 Allotments 6-7% Variable Terms (Estate Poster in Society Archives)
  • 1890 The Huntonville Estate at Aspley (Cabbage Tree Creek), Zillmere Road (Government Road), between Gympie & Dorville Roads. 117 Allotments (Estate Poster in Society Archives)
  • 1890s Daw & Slack first butcher's shop in Downfall Creek situated near Sparkes Street later taken over by George Conradi followed by George & Jack Lemke (Teague p. 27)
  • 1890s Night soil carting started (Teague p. 50)
  • 1890s Pride of Lutwyche Lodge built the hall on Hall & Gympie which became the Perseverance Lodge Hall in 1901 and sold it to the School of Arts in 1909 (Teague p. 60)
  • 6/8/1890 Little Cabbage Tree Creek (Aspley) School opened (Ed Web)
  • 1891 Downfall Creek population 448 (POP)
  • 1891 August Vellnagel arrived in Queensland (Charlie Vellnagel in a letter to Alex Hamilton)
  • 1891 Local Government area renamed Kedron Divisional Board. (Teague Oxley)
  • 1891 Packer & Knox started production as Fellmonger & Tanner in Cox's Paddock and later they moved to Downfall Creek where the firm continued till 1971. In 1972 moved to Narangba and traded as Packer Tanning. (CDHS Archives, Chermside Firms)
  • 1892 Post Office - David Goodwin became Postmaster (POR)
  • 30/11/1892 Major William Clathworty established the Virginia Brick & Pipe Co (Ford p. 5)
  • 1893 Worst flood in Brisbane since white settlement - Thomas Cock built a slaughter yard on Downfall Creek and Rode Road (Cock's Road), moved his house from Windsor and built a pilot meat cannery at the slaughter yard. (RSC)
  • 1895 Heinrich Gerns started his small goods factory at Geebung (Ford p. 5/6) Trams electrified and became profitable (Cole p. 27)
  • 16/3/1897 William Hacker bought land for Vellnagel and on 3rd March 1899 Vellnagel got title in his own name. (Ford p. 6) (Alf Vellnagel and others corroborate this version) For property transfers Jack Ford is the best authority available.
  • 1898 The Methodist Church at Downfall Creek joined the Wesleyan Methodist Church of Australia and a few years later became the Chermside Church (must have been after 1903 when the name Chermside was adopted) (Jubilee Memories Booklet 1927)
  • 1898 Thomas Hamilton attended a public meeting in the Alliance Hall and was elected Secretary of the Downfall Creek Recreation Club the forerunner of the Chermside School of Arts (Isdale p. 20) Aims of the S of Arts (Isdale p.20)
  • 23/3/1898 "Gave cheque 2 to Mr H V Hewett for Mr D F Maclean for writing out descriptions of 50 allotments in the Fivemiletown Estate, got receipt." (Quote from Thomas Hamilton Diaries)
  • Wednesday 20/6/1898 - Letter to Under Secretary for Public Instruction from W. E. Sammells asking for a school to be established at Downfall Creek (CORR1)
  • 19/7/1898 Formal application for the Establishment of a State School at Downfall Creek (CORR1) Letter accompanying the application setting out the Portions which would be suitable sites and the numbers of prospective pupils (EDU/2570 1898/08954) List of prospective pupils, residences, distances from proposed school, school being attended and distance from residence. (Copies of the above documents are in Chermside State School file of the CDHS Archives)
  • 11/8/1898 The Queensland Government accepts Lot 535 on the corner of Gympie and Rode Roads as the site of the new Downfall Creek State School (CORR1)
  • 6/11/1898 Government paid 125 for half of Lot 535 (Five Acres) and the State School Committee to pay 20% - 25 (CORR1)
  • 1899 "Craigie Knowe" built for William Henry Ewing at 21 Dawn Street Kedron. Outline of the history of the property and the surrounding area was compiled by the Brisbane City Council Heritage Unit December 2002 (CDHS Archives) (NB: Teague has the wrong date, late 1880s, for the building)
  • 1899 Railway line constructed to Enoggera, close by the Newmarket Sale Yards (RSC)
  • 24/8/1899 George Marchant bought 97 acres which became Marchant Park. (Ford p. 6)
  • 4/9/1899 The Referendum on Federation to form a Commonwealth or remain separate colonies. Downfall Creek voted solidly against Federation with 92 No votes and only 7 Yes votes. The Nundah electorate also voted against Federation with 651 No votes and only 286 Yes. (Brisbane Courier 4/9/1899 p. 5)
  • 1900 William Sammells general store (Corner Hall Street & Gympie Road) became the Post Office & News Agency (Teague p. 27). About this time Mrs. Mary Sammells became Postmistress (Teague p. 46) and she was still the P M in 1915/16 (POD)
  • 1900 About this time the Polsloe and Five Mile Town Estates on either side of the present main shopping centre were opened. (Teague p. 9) The local district was still mainly rural at this time and Downfall Creek was the business centre (Ourbrisbane.com). This was probably why the Kedron Council sited its chambers there.
  • 1900s Downfall Creek Cricket Club formed (Teague p. 58)
  • 16/1/1900 State School Committee had raised 159 as the local contribution to the building of the school and Head Teacher's Residence. Tender price 795 (CORR1)
  • 6/7/1900 Downfall Creek State School No. 929 opened as a class 7 school in the North Brisbane area. James Youatt was appointed first Head Teacher, with an enrolment of approximately 90 students at the end of the year. (CAS) Half of the bread-winners were mixed farmers (RSC)
  • 9/7/1900 Downfall Creek (Chermside) State School No 929 opened (Ed Dept Records) Probably the correct date as it was a Tuesday. (Ed) Closed 13/12/1996