Home - Chermside & District History

1901- 1920 Federation - WWI - The Pneumonic Flu

  • 16/10/1901 Perseverance Lodge, a branch of the Protestant Alliance Friendly Society of Australia, was founded in Downfall Creek on 16th October (Teague p. 60). Isdale, on p.21, notes that Thomas Hamilton joined the new branch, the Per. Lodge in 1901. 27/3/1903 Packer & Knox, Fellmongers & Tanners, were registered at Downfall Ck and again on 17/2/1913. (CDHS Archives - C'side Firms)
  • 1/5/1903 Downfall Creek State School No. 929 was renamed Chermside State School No. 929. (CAS) Post Office approves change (CORR1) Letter written by James Youatt in 1925 outlines the reason for the change. (Original in possession of Mrs Jean Tune as well as a copy in the Youatt File in the CDHS Archives)
  • 1904 First Police Station in C'side opened on Gympie Rd, near Kuran St and closed in 1917 - Reopened in 1926 at same site - In C1932 moved to Corner Gympie and Hamilton Roads. (COP) Teague p. 54) 7/10/04 Letter from T A Hamilton to Sub Inspector Savage - prepared to build a 4 room cottage for police use on a 2 ac block fronting on Gympie Road - To be let at 10 shillings per week for a period of at least three years. (QSA)
  • 24/11/04 Police - T A Hamilton to Sub Inspector Savage - dwelling finished and ready to occupy. (QSA)
  • 3/12/04 Police - Official opening - John Francis Tracey first Officer in Charge (CDHS Police File Chermside)
  • 1905 Farming villages (50 -60 families) at Stafford, Chermside, Aspley and Bald Hills - (RSC)
  • 1905 C'side Penny Savings Bank established (Teague p. 56) - taken over by School of Arts Committee on the 27/8/1909 - Closed on the 9/4/1913 as the State Government Savings Bank was operating in Chermside (MCSA)
  • 1908 Post Office - First telephone in William Sammells', store via the Albion exchange - In 1914 there was a Public Telephone outside Sammells' store (Teague p. 46)
  • 4/9/08 Post Office - the first telegraph facilities were installed. W. E. Sammells had been Postmaster for some time. At this time residents received their mail from a mail contractor on service number 759. (POR)
  • 1909 Shopkeeper W G Early was the first resident of Chermside to own a motor car. It was a 1909 Belsize Tourer Reg No. A125 (CDHS Archives - Photos)
  • 1909 William Hacker store (now Beaurepairs) opened - it closed in 1964 (Teague p. 27) 1909 Bicycle Racing Club formed - In 1930s another one formed (Teague p. 58)
  • 21/6/09 School of Arts was founded and met in the Alliance Hall which the Committee bought some time shortly afterwards. A lending library was formed and the Kedron Continuation Classes in book-keeping and dressmaking were conducted. (MCSA)
  • 1/7/1909 Alonzo Sparkes bought the 400 ac block of Murphy's Paddock for 2,150 for use as a holding paddock for stock to be slaughtered at the slaughter yard he built there (Ford p. 6/7)
  • 20/7/09 Kedron Park Racing Club registered. (CDHS Archives - C'side Firms)
  • 31/12/09 Post Office - During the year 52 telegrams were lodged and 82 were received. By this time the telephone was in use as the following revenue statement shows: Trunk line (Long Distance) calls 0 - 4 - 4 Local Calls 4 - 12 - 5 Telegrams lodged 2 - 6 - 0 Total Revenue 7 - 0 - 9 (POR)
  • 1910 F G Butt bought a 25 ac pineapple farm on Murphy Rd from D Vemey. Began canning in 1911 and used a methylated spirit stove to solder lids on the cans. Produced some pineapple jam (Ford p. 7)
  • 1910 Six inch water main reached Vellnagel's forge at Murphy & Gympie Roads. (Teague p. 50)
  • 19/11/10 Locomotive PB15 No 385 was derailed at Zillmere Station. The loco ran on to bridge which was under repair and came off the rails but remained upright. (Newspaper report)
  • 1911 Population of Chermside 811 (POP)
  • 1912 All Brisbane horse bus firms amalgamated to form the Brisbane Motor Bus Company. Chermside was left without public transport. (Teague p. 40)
  • 1912 Kedron Omnibus Company formed to use horse buses from Wooloowin station to Aspley - sold in 1915 (Teague p. 41)
  • 5/6/12 Walton Bros registered as a Piggery at Kedron. (CDHS Archives - C'side Firms)
  • 1913 Chummies arrive - Hamilton Rd and Maundrell Terrace area (Teague p. 20)
  • 1913 C'side Citizens' Committee was possibly the origin of the C'side Progress Association which was operating at least as early as August 1931 (Teague p. 61)
  • 1913 Kedron Presbyterian Church founded (Strathmore St) (CKCC)
  • 6/5/13 Post Office - Letter from Thos Compton (Sec Zillmere School of Arts) to Sergeant at Sandgate re supervision of a concert. (COP)
  • 18/7/13 Water was connected to the Chermside State School. (Letter sent from Public Works Dept to Government Architect & Undersecretary for Public Instruction).
  • 1914 1914-1920 Piggeries were built on old mixed farms and uncleared bushland; more settlers arrive, some English (Chummy Town), some from inland; soldier settlers tried mixed farming including pineapples, vegetables, passion fruit and later poultry farms started (RSC)
  • 1914 Piggery started by William Barker on Webster Road (CDHS Archives - Hedley Barker)
  • 1914 Trams from Windsor Town Hall reach Kedron Park Hotel - 2nd May 1925 reach Lutwyche Cemetery - 1927 New bridge over Kedron Brook - 30th March 1947 reach C'side (Hamilton Diary) - Last tram to C'side 13/4/1969 (Souvenir Ticket BCC Transport Department) See also Horse Trams 1883 and Electrification in 1895.
  • 9/2/14 Letter from Charles Wills, Shire Clerk Kedron Council, to Commissioner of Police re need for 2 Constables at C'side police station citing problems in the area. Also, had to pay 5 shillings for a Constable from Sandgate to attend entertainments at Zillmere. (COP)
  • 21/2/14 Letter from Sergeant at Fortitude Valley replying to Charles Willis (14/2/14). It is, in effect, saying that Willis is exaggerating the situation and that seems to have been the case. This letter was a report to the Commissioner of Police (COP)
  • 21/3/14 Police - Letter from Commissioner to Kedron Shire Council re letter on 9th Feb 1914. He is backing up the Sergeant and, in effect, telling Willis to report more carefully. (COP)
  • 23/3/14 Police - Letter from Commissioner to Charles Willis. Advising that providing police supervision at Zillmere was without charge if it is for public functions. (COP)
  • 1916 Sandgate Drill Hall founded - later removed to Chermside and reopened as the Milne Bay Memorial Library & Research Centre in the Chermside Historic Precinct
  • 1916 Kedron Shire installed a Kitson pressure lamp at Barron's Corner (Corner of Gympie and Stafford Roads) for street lighting (KSCM)
  • 1917 George Marchant offered the Kedron Shire Council land for a park (KSCM)
  • 1917 Photographic Society formed (Teague p. 56)
  • 7/2/17 To Police Dept re closure of station which had been rented at 12/6 per week. The military camp of 40 men who were mainly recuperating from war wounds was not considered sufficient to justify keeping the station open. (QSA)
  • 28/2/17 28th February - Police Station closed (CDHS Archives - Police File Chermside) 2/3/17 G Bell to Police Dept to notify that the troop horse 'Favour' had been returned to the Depot with list of equipment from the closed Chermside station (QSA)
  • 7/2/18 Very little crime in C'side in 1916 - only six arrests, 2 for obscene language, 2 for drink, 2 for stealing (QSA)
  • 1/5/1918 Post Office - James C. Argo purchased Sammell's store and his daughter Miss Christine Argo was appointed Postmistress (POR)
  • 1/6/18 Post Office - sale of duty stamps (Tax on certain items) was introduced. (POR)
  • 1919 The Kedron Tram Extension Estate - War Bonds Accepted (The trams were at Kedron Brook and did not get to Lutwyche Cemetery till 1925 and Chermside till 1947) It was on the east side of Gympie Road and bounded by Rode Road and Sydney Street. It was claimed on the poster that the estate was on the line of the proposed Mayne to Zillmere Railway extension. (Estate Poster in Society Archives)
  • 1919 The Pneumonic or Spanish or Black Flu Pandemic - thousands of people died in Australia
  • 1920 Arnold Shaw set up a piggery on Hamilton Road - closed 1951 (DRT p. 20)
  • 1920s There were about 20 slaughter yards in Chermside. Withacombe's became a State Slaughter yard under Forgan-Smith's drive for cheaper meat (RSC). After 1931 when all the local slaughter yards were closed it became Basnett's Warm Milk Dairy. (CDHS Archives - Basnett File)
  • 1920 Kedron Shire Council installed more Kitson pressure lamps for street lighting. (KSCM)