Home - Chermside & District History

1921-1945 Post WWI - Depression - WWII

  • 1921 Population of Chermside 1131 (POP)
  • 1921 Vellnagel moved forge to the present site (CDHS Archives - Vellnagel Files)
  • 9/9/21 George Marchant gave the land for his namesake park to the Kedron Shire Council (CDHS Marchant Files) †
  • 1921 Florence Park Estate, Chermside - Corner of Murphy Road and Ellison Road. Includes Stone Road & Piccadilly Road - 62 Lots from 1Rood to about 3 Acres (Estate Poster in Society Archives)
  • 22/5/20 Grand Sports - Free. Grand Concert Not Free - (CDHS Archives - Chermside File)
  • 1922 Boyce & Little bought the Bus run and in 1923 bought the first motor bus - Extended to Bald Hills in 1928 (DRT p. 43)
  • 1922 Assemblies of God Church commenced services in a house on the corner of Hamilton & Pfingst Roads - Church built in 1947 (Teague p. 63)
  • 1922 Post Office - The Postmistress' salary was £60 - 5 - 0 p.a.† (POR)
  • 17/8/23 Police - Letter and petition from Kedron Shire Council re the reopening of the Chermside station (QSA) & (COP)
  • 1924 Gympie Road sealed with bitumen. (Teague p.45)
  • 1924 Bill Auld, a butcher, and Charlie Murr, a blacksmith, set up the first Service Station in Chermside on the north west corner of Latham Street and Gympie Road. It lasted till 1969 (Teague p. 45) (The site is now occupied by a large building called 800 Gympie Road) †
  • 1924 Electric Light reached Lutwyche cemetery area (Teague). It replaced the Kitson pressure lamps installed earlier.
  • 3/5/24 Dedication of WWI Memorial Gates at entrance to Marchant Park (Program of the ceremony in CDHS Archives) (A CDHS member, Vivian Heiner, was present as a four year old child with her father who was a councillor.) †
  • 1925 Chermside Methodist Church became attached to the Lutwyche Circuit (Jubilee Memories Booklet 1927)
  • Rainey's Hill Top Park Estate - Includes Robert Street, Rode Road, Wallace Street, Hill Top Avenue, Rainey Street. - 99 Allotments £1 deposit 10/- monthly at 6% (Estate Poster in Society Archives)
  • 1925 Kedron Methodist Church founded (Leckie Street) (CKCC)†
  • 1/2/1925 Electric Light installed in the School of Arts (MCSA) But the Committee had enquired about installation on 10/1/1918 so electricity may have been available at that date.† Also requested for the State School on the 3/6/1925 (1st Minute Book of School Committee) but may not have been installed till April 1931 when they paid for a meter.
  • 2/5/25 Electric Trams reached Lutwyche Cemetery (Viv Heiner)
  • 1/6/1925 Masonic Lodge (Freemasons of Queensland) started in June, meeting in the School of Arts. (Teague p. 60/1) In 1957 they moved to a new building in Gympie Rd, Kedron and the Kedron Chermside Lodge, No. 333, was consecrated on the 22nd October 1980 when the Kedron and Chermside branches merged. (Website)
  • 1/10/25 Local Government - Kedron Shire Council was absorbed by the First Greater Brisbane City Council which took office on 21st February 1925. (Cole) †
  • 1926 Methodist Church purchased property on the corner of Hamilton & Gympie Roads for £300 and the old timber church building was moved there in November 1926 at a cost of £140 (Jubilee Memories Booklet 1927) (Isdale p. 22)
  • Glenora Estate (Maggs) - 1915 Paul Maggs bought portion 154, an 18 acre block which coupled with the 38 acre holding he had inherited from his father gave him an area from Rode Road to Edinburgh Castle Road. In 1926 he subdivided the 18 acre section into 188 housing blocks of mostly 16 perches each. The area included Bristol Road, White Street, Taylor Street and Maggs Street. The land was slow to sell and two blocks remained unsold 30 years later. (James & Nola (nee Maggs) Gibson - Essay on Paul Maggs. 1866-1956 p. 4)
  • 27/3/26 The Hamilton property, Chermside Township Estate, on Gympie Road, Hamilton Road, †Margaret (Kingsmill) Street, Hall Street, Thomas Street and Charlotte Street was offered at auction. There were 77 Blocks - £1 deposit 10/- monthly (Estate Poster in Society Archives). Another sale took place in 1928 for the remaining 60 allotments.
  • 11/7/26 Police - Letter from Sgt Currow to Inspector re the re-establishment of the C'side station, including some crimes recently committed (QSA)
  • 1/10/26 Kedron State School opened (Ed Web) †
  • 23/11/26 Lease of building to Police Dept (QSA)
  • 1/12/26 Post Office - Mr. R. E. Hall became Postmaster (POR)
  • 1927 Maurice Tilly built the Dawn Theatre which opened in 1928. The Fardoulys Brothers bought it in 1951 and managed it till it closed on 10th August 2005. (CDHS Archives - Chermside Entertainment)
  • 1927 Glentanna Estate, Kedron, on the west side of Gympie Road from Rode Road to Edward Street and only 300 yards from Kedron tram terminus offered 108 Blocks £10 deposit over 5 years at 6. 5%. (Estate Poster in Society Archives)
  • 1927 Seskenore Estate, Kedron, offered 34 sites between Gympie Road and Mount Alvernia and St Anthony's schools - included Cremorne Road, Nieppe Street and Armentieres Street. (Estate Poster in Society Archives)
  • 1927 Gordon Park Methodist Church founded (Blue Nurses bought building when the Church merged in the Uniting Church.) (CKCC)†
  • 1/11/28 Post Office - Mr. J. H. Gordon became Postmaster (POR)
  • 1929 Great Depression begins, reached it worst phase in 1933 and persisted till 1939 when World War II broke out. †
  • 9/9/29 Letter from R D Richards to Police Dept re getting a permanent station in C'side with Constable living in the district but attached to Windsor (QSA)
  • 14/10/29 Post Office - mail being delivered to 133 houses. (POR)
  • 25/10/29 Letter from Commissioner of Police to Undersecretary, Home Dept, giving some background of the Chermside District (QSA)
  • 22/11/29 Police Station Re-opened (CDHS Archives - Police File Chermside) Police Gazette made the announcement official (QSA)
  • 1930s R E Stevens sawmilling firm (Teague p. 29)
  • 1930s Chermside Service Station (Teague p. 30)
  • 28/4/30 Meeting of the Country and Progressive National Organisation Chermside Branch (CDHS Archives - Chermside File)
  • 28/4/30 Typed notice - Country and Progressive national Organisation - Chermside Branch - had been dormant - a revival meeting to be held in the School of Arts on 8/5/1930 and Mr Kelso MLA, local member, will address it. W E Sammells, Rode Rd Chermside.
  • 1/9/1930 Post Office - Mr. Gordon, Postmaster, died. Mrs. Gordon carried on for a short while. (POR)
  • 1/10/30 Post Office - Mr. G. Jeffs appointed Postmaster. (POR)
  • 1931 Slaughter yards close - Govt acquires the meat works at Cannon Hill and sets up the Qld Meat Industry Board (Fitzgerald Vol 2 p. 174) - warm milk dairies and piggeries were established on old slaughter yard sites (RSC)
  • 29/12/31 29th December - Inspection of Chermside Police Station - Still in the horse and bicycle transport time - Property owned by A R Hamilton on £1/5/0 weekly rent but to be reduced to £1/2/6 in 1932 - Const Rigney only - Khaki uniform (COP)
  • 1932 Chermside Congregational Church built on Rode Road. (CCCK)
  • 29/1/32 New wing completed at Chermside State School and an Official opening approved. (CORR2)
  • 27/9/32 Police - Constable T Rigney to Commissioner re lease of station for 3 years extension - First leased years ago at 25 shillings per week - Hamilton agreed to reduce it to 22/6 per week and include space for troop horse (QSA)
  • 19/10/32 W H Ryan, Commissioner of Police, to Inspector O'Hara - approval of lease with Hamilton at Duff St Chermside - 3 years at 22/6 per week (QSA)
  • 4/5/33 Inspection of Chermside Police Station - Const Rigney the only policeman (COP)
  • 1933 Population of Chermside 2319 (POP) †
  • 31/5/34 Inspection of Chermside Police Station - Const Rigney only - (COP)
  • 14/6/34 Police - Letter from W G Early to Commissioner, Early was willing to sell the land on corner of Gympie & Hamilton Roads for £300 (QSA)
  • 20/6/34 Letter and map of the Chermside Police Division - (COP)
  • 1935 Post Office - Mr. Geffs sold his grocery, news agency and Post Office to Mr. G B Reid of Sandgate who then became Postmaster. (POR)†
  • 30/1/35 Police - Constable Rigney to Sub Inspector Fortitude Valley - Mr Early not prepared to sell a portion of his land - not anxious to sell - Council valuation £100 - (QSA)
  • 5/2/35 Police - Sub Insp Fortitude Valley to Commissioner - interviewed Early - best land available - Early wanted £300 - suitable for a business venture (QSA)
  • 8/6/35 Opening of the Royal Exchange Hotel Aspley (Members memories)
  • 10/6/35 Police - Governor in Council approved purchase of land for new Police Station (QSA)
  • 17/6/35 Letter from Dept of Public Works re new Police Station at C'side (COP)
  • 8/8/35 Inspection of Chermside Police Station - Constable Rigney - Horse in good condition but bicycle needs reconditioning (COP)
  • 12/10/35 Chermside District Horticultural and Industrial Show (CDHS Archives - Chermside Clubs File)
  • 7/11/35 Government Gazette - Order in Council - Land for a new Police Station - map attached - Cr Hamilton & Gympie Roads (COP)
  • 1936 George Hedge starts a dripping and fertiliser factory - bad bush fires (RSC)
  • 13/2/36 Mrs E F Cock asked for girls from Chermside State School to attend Domestic Science classes once a week at Wooloowin State School. 14/2/1936 Mr Rice asked Dept to have Domestic Science and Manual Training Classes at Chermside and if not, that pupils from Chermside attend Wooloowin each week. 26/2/1936 Dept replied to work with the Head Teacher at Wooloowin. (It was approved) (CORR2)
  • 21/5/36 Letter from Commissioner of Police to Minister re no extra staff needed at Chermside Police Division (COP)
  • 22/7/36 Inspection of Chermside Police Station - Constable Thomas relieving while Constable †Sprenger is on leave of absence- Blue Serge uniform - No horse - Bicycle in garage for repairs Constable using his own bicycle - New building (COP)†
  • 3/11/36 H. M. Wheller Gardens Settlement on Gympie Road opened (Teague p. 65)
  • 24/6/38 Chermside State School - remove one classroom and built three more - raise all buildings on stumps and concrete under all buildings. Begun in January - not clear when finished - Cost £2,114 (CORR2)
  • 1939 Quarry begun on Rode Rd/Webster Rd by Bowser & Sons - electricity connected to nearby piggeries (RSC)
  • 1940 Plan of alteration to Police premises (QSA)
  • 25/2/40 Chapel at was informally opened by Rev Weller just for the residents and officially opened on 5/3/1940 (Tucker p. 39)
  • 25/8/40 Letter from Const Perry to Inspector re extra Constable at Chermside Police Station - military camp expected to have 6,000 men by 7/10/1940 in Sparkes' Paddock for the duration of the war - Could accommodate extra Constable in refurbished feed room - expecting trouble between soldiers and civilians at Friday night dances (COP)
  • 10/9/40 Police - Letter from Constable Perry to Inspector re extra Constable at Chermside - Typed on the side is the permission for the extra Const. (CDHS Archives - Police File Chermside)
  • 4/11/40 Inspection of Chermside Police Station - Constables Perry and Pitt - Only one bicycle - (CDHP Archives - Police File Chermside)
  • 28/2/41 Valuation of Sparkes' Paddock by James Thorpe & Co £9,973 and the Commonwealth Government offered £10,050 - the owners wanted £12,000 - deadlock (Ford. P. 40)†
  • 12/6/41 Compulsory resumption of Sparkes' Paddock by Commonwealth Government at the above price (£10,050) (Ford p. 40)
  • 1942 Australian and U. S. soldiers occupy vacant land on Downfall Creek, farms and bushland, a gun emplacement on Radar Hill and search lights on Trouts Rd north. (RSC)
  • 14/5/43 Australian Hospital Ship Centaur sunk by Jap submarine - about 50 miles (80km) East North East off Brisbane - No patients on board - of the 332 on board only 64 survived - Sister Ellen Savage awarded the George Cross for her work with the survivors. (Wikipedia)
  • 13/11/43 Plane crash at Chermside near Corrie Street (Hamilton Diaries)
  • 7/5/45 VE Day - Germany surrendered unconditionally - to take effect from next day (NY Times) VP Day - Japan surrendered on 15th August 1945