Sunday School

All Saints, Chermside, Sunday School 1909-2003

All Saints Church is located on Hamilton Road, Chermside and over the years Daughter Churches were developed in surrounding areas. With the advent of the automobile travel became easier and these small churches were closed along with their Sunday Schools and parish activity centred on All Saints.

In about 1906-7 Church services began in the Chermside Alliance Hall, later School of Arts, and Sunday School began there in about 1913. A report in the Church Chronicle of 1-7-1909 notes that "a combined Sunday School treat" was held at Nundah which involved children from Chermside; these earlier classes could have been held in houses.

When the land in Hamilton Road, the present site of All Saints' Church, was paid for in January 1913, many activities were held to raise money for the new church building fund. A children's Cantata or Choral work, presented by the Sunday School under the direction of Mrs Sneyd, was held in the Chermside School of Arts.

Then on the completion of the new All Saints church building in 1914, the Sunday School classes had a permanent home in the new church.

All Saints post World War II

The small childrren were put in the ex Army hut for their Sunday School. They all turned out in their best clothes for the lesons.

In the post World War II period with the rapidly expanding growth in the surrounding areas, the population increased and many more children attended Sunday School. This created a need for more accommodation. On June 1 1953 one of the ex-army huts from the Corrie Street area was purchased and shifted behind the church in Hamilton Road and used as a Sunday School hall.

The older children were taught in the church sitting on the pews.

Ken Pollard and Olive Webb were the Superintendents of the Sunday School for many years from the early 1950's. In this time of population growth in Chermside teaching space was at a premium so that the children attending Sunday School were divided into two groups. The young ones would meet in the hall and the older ones in the church. Ken and Olive organized many great times for the children and picnics at Marchant Park were fun times for all.

St Mary's, Geebung 1953-1973

Army huts were used widely as temporary accommodation after World War II. Churches and schools bought them until they had sufficient funds to replace the old huts.

As there was no building to start with, the Memorial Hall at Geebung was hired for Sunday services. The congregation found this unsatisfactory as the hall was used as a Theatre on Saturday nights and proved difficult to use as a place of worship on Sunday.

In 1953 land was purchased in Innes Street and an old Army hut shifted onto the site. The army hut was placed at the rear of the property so as to leave room for future building needs. After much hard work by many dedicated people to raise funds, the necessary furnishings were obtained and the building was Dedicated and Blessed on October 24, 1953 by Archdeacon F B C Birch, the Rector of Saint Augustine's, Hamilton.

Organisations were started and over the years played an important part in the life of the parish. The Sunday School attendance built up to 150 children, one of these children later became Rector of the parish of Tara. In 1955 a branch of GFS (Girls Friendly Society)
was formed, and three years later, a branch of the Young Mothers Department of the Mothers' Union commenced.

In 1973 St Marys became part of Zillmere parish.

St Thomas, East Chermside-Wavell Heights 1954-1990

It was a common practice to start a Sunday School in a parishioner's home until some more appropriate venue was obtained. This group looks rather large for the Tanberg's suburban house.

In October 1957, on land purchased at Watcombe St, East Chermside St Thomas' Church hall was opened for services and Sunday School. Prior to this Sunday School classes were held at the home of Mr and Mrs W. Tranberg (Myra) in Main Avenue.

200 children were going to Sunday School in the 1960's and that prompted the Parochial Council to extend the building to provide a hall at the rear. This would allow all of the classes to be held indoors, instead of half in the church and half outside in the sun and weather.

St Laurence, West Chermside 1960-1983

In September, 1960, to cater for the housing development in the West Chermside area, a Sunday School was started at the home of Mr and Mrs Wally Basnett, Rossett Street, West Chermside. This location was used until 1st February, 1966 when the new Church hall, named St Laurence, in Springvale Street was opened.

Parish Picnics in the 1960s

A group of Sunday School teachers relaxing at a picnic in the park.

The Sunday Schools in the early 1960s had over 400 scholars and the annual Picnic was a notable event. Moving these excited children to St Paul's school at Bald Hills must have been exciting and/or exhausting for the teachers. No details were given in the Council minutes.

Train travel was still widely used in the 1960s and the annual family Picnic made use of them. In July 1968 the parish travelled by train to the Woombye Showground at a cost of 50c per adult and 20c per child. We are not told how many went but on the 1967 Picnic the minutes note that all 760 seats had been taken for the Parish Train Trip. A picnic to Spring Bluff was shared with Ashgrove Parish.

A later entry in the minutes reported that the 1968 Parish Picnic was a social success but a financial failure which had to be covered by a levy on the Parish and Daughter churches. This unfortunate ending was partly due to the low fares charged by the parish. That was remedied the following year and the trip was a success in every way. In June 1970 the annual train trip was to Beaudesert in June and it went well. The parish was learning by experience.