History of Chermside State School

Chermside State School
Arbor Day 1907- the school with the patent ventilator on the roof, the high windows, the lattice corners, the play shed built in 1906, the barefoot boys with tools and Billy cart, ready to plant trees, the girls dressed more formally with large hats in the background. Planting trees was ‘men’s work’ and the girls were expected to stand back ‘out of the way’. (Hamilton Collection)